[SOLVED] Hard freezes since installing new GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

starfleetfoxes

Commendable
May 19, 2019
Ever since i installed my new gpu, i have had hard freezes (no crash, no BSOD, just both monitors freezing, becoming entirely unresponsive, and forcing me to shut down). they happen almost always while gaming, and used to happen a few times a week. now a few times a day. i have ran a test to check for faulty ram, seems no issues there. windows is updated and ALL my drivers are updated. All temps are fine, gpu and cpu never get too high.

I have been keeping tabs on the values in afterburner during the crash. today it crashed and the values are as follows:
GPU 1605 MHz
MEM 9251 MHz
VOLT 825 MHz
TEMP 46 C

I tried underclocking slightly, still got a crash and afterburner showed the following:
GPU 1740 MHz
MEM 9152 MHz
VOLT 1062
TEMP 62 C

Here are my specs:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10900K CPU @ 3.70GHz 3.70 GHz
32GB ram
msi RTX 3080
MSI MPG Z490 GAMING EDGE WIFI ATX LGA1200 Motherboard
Corsair RM (2019) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Solution
There has been numerous reports about RM series PSUs not handling the transient power spikes upper 3000 series GPUs (3080 - 3080Ti - 3090) have. It's a very good PSU that you own but I have seen some threads here complaining about similar issues with RM PSUs which when swapped to a better PSU like the RMx series, the issues are gone.

Of course it can be a faulty GPU which there are plenty but I would try the GPU in another system with a better PSU, or take it to a repair shop and have it tested there. My advice is either way to buy a better PSU (not higher wattage but able to handle the transient spikes).

Try running games without overclocks, might be a bad overclock.
OP never mentioned any OC if I am not mistaken.
There has been numerous reports about RM series PSUs not handling the transient power spikes upper 3000 series GPUs (3080 - 3080Ti - 3090) have. It's a very good PSU that you own but I have seen some threads here complaining about similar issues with RM PSUs which when swapped to a better PSU like the RMx series, the issues are gone.

Of course it can be a faulty GPU which there are plenty but I would try the GPU in another system with a better PSU, or take it to a repair shop and have it tested there. My advice is either way to buy a better PSU (not higher wattage but able to handle the transient spikes).

Try running games without overclocks, might be a bad overclock.

Solution

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I've seen a psu cause that symptom if it's had a fair bit of use.
+1 to that point about Corsair RM-non X.

Make sure you're using separate 6+2pin cables into the gpu.
Crank gpu power limit all the way down in Afterburner and see if it stops freezing. Make sure you unlink Power and Temperature limit, because if you don't, when you drag down the power limit slider, the temperature limit will get dragged down with it, and that's no good.

Reactions: dotas1
Ever since i installed my new gpu, i have had hard freezes (no crash, no BSOD, just both monitors freezing, becoming entirely unresponsive, and forcing me to shut down). they happen almost always while gaming, and used to happen a few times a week. now a few times a day. i have ran a test to check for faulty ram, seems no issues there. windows is updated and ALL my drivers are updated. All temps are fine, gpu and cpu never get too high.

I have been keeping tabs on the values in afterburner during the crash. today it crashed and the values are as follows:
GPU 1605 MHz
MEM 9251 MHz
VOLT 825 MHz
TEMP 46 C

I tried underclocking slightly, still got a crash and afterburner showed the following:
GPU 1740 MHz
MEM 9152 MHz
VOLT 1062
TEMP 62 C

Here are my specs:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10900K CPU @ 3.70GHz 3.70 GHz
32GB ram
msi RTX 3080
MSI MPG Z490 GAMING EDGE WIFI ATX LGA1200 Motherboard
Corsair RM (2019) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
when you installed the drivers for the new gpu did you uninstall the old drivers first?

Does the machine run ok if you use the igp?

starfleetfoxes

Commendable
May 19, 2019

Thank you so much for this advice. I got a new power supply last week and haven’t had a crash since. I wanted to make sure so I waited for the weekend where my pc use is heavy. Not a single crash! Grateful to have the issue fixed, thanks again.

Reactions: dotas1
Status
Not open for further replies.