Question Hard Freezing On Brand New Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxofblades

Prominent
Oct 16, 2018
I'd just like to preface this monumental post by stating that I have already returned the product and am getting a full replacement in a few days, but I'm still nervous that this is going to happen again a third time.

Hello all. Thanks for taking the time to try and help me with this. I appreciate it. I've been tearing my hair out over this issue. I work in IT and this is the first time I've ever experienced anything like this and I'm at my wits end. I've tried literally everything I can think of.

So this first started about two weeks ago. I was playing Rainbow Six Siege on my first rig (Let's call it Rig A). [Rig A](https://www.newegg.com/cyberpowerpc-gxc780/p/N82E16883230316?Item=N82E16883230316) is about two years old and I've never had an issue with it. During gameplay, I was talking to my friends on Discord and having a good 'ol time. And then everything just froze. No movement, no sound, no blue screen, I couldn't do anything. I couldn't Alt + Tab, I couldn't bring up Task Manager. It hard froze. So I turned my computer off and back on again and it booted up just fine. Went right back to my desktop. I relaunched Discord and rejoined my friends call. Not even 5 minutes goes by, hard freeze again. Just in Discord! Nothing else was running! This pattern goes on for about an hour, me restarting my computer, it freezing every 5-10 minutes. I just go to bed out of frustration.

The next day, I tried troubleshooting. I thought it was bad RAM. Took one stick out a time to test them, still freezing. I ran a MemTest. Never finished because, yep you guessed it, freezing. I thought it was the power supply. Tried different outlets and rooms in my house. Still freezing. Thought it was my USB devices, like mouse, keyboard, headset. Replaced all of those. Still freezing. Took my rig over to my buddies house to try some troubleshooting with him (we work at the same IT place together), still freezing. Tried FurMark stress test. Freezing. Reinstalled Windows. Still freezing. Tried brand new storage devices. Still freezing.

At this point, I was pretty frustrated. I went on to Newegg and just bought a whole brand new rig. I was done. I just threw money at the problem and wanted it to go away. Now, this new rig came in (Let's call this [Rig B]( https://www.newegg.com/abs-computer...ali350/p/N82E16883102849?Item=N82E16883102849 ) ) and I was so excited! I took it out of the box, set it all up and fired it up. It ran amazing!...for about 45 minutes and the SAME. EXACT. THING. HAPPENED. AGAIN....hard freeze. Doing absolutely nothing. On a brand new rig, right out of the box. I was devastated. I did the whole nine yards again with Rib B as I did with Rig A. Still freezing. I contacted Newegg and they have since RMA'd Rib B and said they're replacing the whole rig. Now, sorry for this long story, but here's my question:

What the hell? What could have possibly caused this to happen? It was a brand new rig right out of the box! I have a few leads of what I think it might be, but I'm not confident. I tried thinking what commonalities my two rigs have between each other and other than a couple programs and about six pictures that I moved over, nothing else. Could it be a Windows update is bricking my system? I ran all updates on my new rig as soon as I got it. Once again...I don't know. I don't know what to do and I'm terrified my new rig when I get it, is gonna do the same thing. Thank you for bearing with me this far and I hope to maybe get some new insight on something from somebody that I may have overlooked.

I am running Windows 10.

May 29, 2020
I am having this issue as well. I have not been able to find a fix for it and also tempted to blow money on fixing the issue. I have already replaced my PSU, RAM, and hard drives.. scared to go any further out of fear its a software issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS