[SOLVED] Hard Reboot.

Dec 24, 2019
Hello everyone! So ive been dealing with a very annoying issue lately, every now and then my pc does a hard reboot when loading games, some times i can just be sat idle at the desktop or browsing the net and it will crash and hard reboot, it does it when i play games and then some times it doesnt.... it happens when i play call of duty 2019, csgo, outter worlds, even some older titles like bioschock infinite.... its really baffling me and really annoying me, i ve tried all sorts, i tried reseating the processor (after checking pins) ive tried reapplying thermal paste, ive tried re seating ram, ive unplugged and plugged back in gpu, and its still persisting, my specs are as follows

AMD FX-8350 (not oc'd) with a be quiet heat sink.
fractal design 800w psu
12GB of ddr3Ram 1300 (2x 4gb sticks and 2x 2gb sticks)
Toshiba 1tb HDD, OCZ VERTEX 250GB SSD
ATI Radeon RX 480 8GB

If anyone can please help me figure this out I would be very much appreciative.

Solution
"Improper shutdowns" are not at all uncommon in such situations. End user has no choice but to pull the proverbial plug.

Because the PSU's history appears sketchy I would first try a new PSU.

Most likely, in my mind, to be the applicable cost/benefits solution.

At some point troubleshooting becomes counterproductive and all that is left is to just do something.

However, in all fairness, you can continue with troubleshooting or otherwise trying to find the problem.

Just one of those judgement calls that may need to be made.

Ralston18

Titan
Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes and warnings that correspond with or precede the crashes.

Use Task Manager or Resource Monitor to observe system performance. First while not gaming and then while gaming.

Look for bottlenecks or an application that launches and starts trying to run.

How old is the Fractal PSU? Heavily used?

Dec 24, 2019
Hey Ralston thanks for the reply mate! ive checked reliability history and event viewer, reliability history has 4 critical events and it states "windows was not properly shut down" that's all it says to me, I looked in event viewer but couldn't make heads nor tails of it, there is a could of errors and criticals and lots of warnings... I noticed one of the criticals was "kernel power error" I have been wondering if it was the PSU and it wasn't sat correctly or the wires are tangled etc....

I did try and monitor task manager idle im sat at 5-20% cpu usage, 1% gpu… I loaded modern warfare up and it shot up all the way to 60-80% cpu and 15% gpu, my cpu and gpu should work fine together as I checked bottle neck checker and they apparently fit fine together....

I personally don't know how old the PSU is, I bought the system 2nd hand for some light gaming 3 weeks ago and the guy before said he has only had the PSU for 6 months max and he was light gaming on it.

Dec 24, 2019
Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes and warnings that correspond with or precede the crashes.

Use Task Manager or Resource Monitor to observe system performance. First while not gaming and then while gaming.

Look for bottlenecks or an application that launches and starts trying to run.

How old is the Fractal PSU? Heavily used?

Is it worth buying a new psu before just fully upgrading the system altogether? Because I'm at my wits end with it trying to see a way around before I drop some cash to fully upgrade the system.

Ralston18

Titan
"Improper shutdowns" are not at all uncommon in such situations. End user has no choice but to pull the proverbial plug.

At some point troubleshooting becomes counterproductive and all that is left is to just do something.

However, in all fairness, you can continue with troubleshooting or otherwise trying to find the problem.

Solution
Dec 24, 2019

Thanks again for the reply mate, yeah as soon as I saw kernel power errors I thought hmm maybe it has to be something with the PSU then, I've ordered a new one and once it arrives will try and see if it works any better if not I'll just scrap the whole idea and then go for the new upgrade sooner rather than later.... as soon as the new PSU arrives I will test it all out and update this post as needed mate.