[SOLVED] Hard Reset when opening and closing my door.

Dec 22, 2019
I have an extremely strange problem that I would love a second opinion on.
Here are the rig specs:

Motherboard: Aorus Z390 Pro WiFi CF
CPU: Intel i7 8700K
GPU: Gigabyte AORUS GeForce RTX 2080 Super Waterforce WB 8G (Ridiculous Name)
RAM: TridentZ G.Skill 16 x 2 3000MHz
Drive: Samsung NVMe 970 EVO 1TB x 2
Rig is hooked up to a uninterrupted pure sine wave power supply.

So, My PC is mounted to the wall in the living room near a door. The problem arises when someone opens are closes that door particularly when the PC is under load, like running a game or watching a youtube video. The computer will reset and boot back up as if nothing happened. I suspect the motherboard because occasionally anything that's plugged in via USB directly to the motherboard will drop out as if I unplugged and plugged a device back in. This also happens if you tap the USB housing on the motherboard. Apart from a ghost, what do you ladies and gentlemen think?

Solution
I know this is months late but i resolved this issue. The riser cable to the GPU had an intermittent open circuit due to one of the solder on the pins coming loose. Also there was a short circuit on the printed portion of the cable (this is probably my own doing during installation, a small nick on the board portion). Replaced the riser cable. Problem solved, Turns out there was no ghost afterall.
Here are the rig specs:

So, My PC is mounted to the wall in the living room near a door. The problem arises when someone opens are closes that door particularly when the PC is under load, like running a game or watching a youtube video. The computer will reset and boot back up as if nothing happened. I suspect the motherboard because occasionally anything that's plugged in via USB directly to the motherboard will drop out as if I unplugged and plugged a device back in. This also happens if you tap the USB housing on the motherboard. Apart from a ghost, what do you ladies and gentlemen think?
Something is loose in there, maybe even power cable.

Reactions: iwearglassestoo
Dec 22, 2019
Something is loose in there, maybe even power cable.
I have wiggled the connections to check if it goes out, still operates normally... butttttt to be 100% sure I'm also going to exchange my motherboard after the holidays (got that microcenter warranty!) and going to make sure that everything is fully engaged. I'll update when I've got everything up and running again.

Dec 22, 2019
I know this is months late but i resolved this issue. The riser cable to the GPU had an intermittent open circuit due to one of the solder on the pins coming loose. Also there was a short circuit on the printed portion of the cable (this is probably my own doing during installation, a small nick on the board portion). Replaced the riser cable. Problem solved, Turns out there was no ghost afterall.

Solution

kanewolf

Titan
Here are the rig specs:

Have you checked the AC power source? A loose connection at the outlet could cause your problem. The voltage drop might only cause a reset under load. Light load, the capacitors in the power supply will keep the voltage up over the transient AC interruption.