[SOLVED] Hard Shutdown - MOBO Failure? Rebuild?

GorfTheFrog

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2009
Hi All -

I have an old i7-920 build on an ASUS P6T Deluxe v2 mobo that has been a great workhorse for years.

It recently started shutting down intermittently - no BSOD, no graceful shutdown, it just hard stopped and powered off. It now refuses to boot. Power comes on, lights are blinkin', fans are spinnin', but I don't get any video output. I've tried three different video cards, two different cables, and two different monitors. None will give any output.

My guess is that the mobo has died. Is this is a good diagnosis, or should I be checking something else?

I'm planning to replace the mobo, CPU, RAM, and boot drive. I'm planning to re-use the PSU (Corsair HX 1000W), graphics card (EVGA GTX 760), DVD and BluRay drives, and retain the 3 HDs and 2 SSDs on there now. Also reusing the case and fans.

If I have any reservation, it is about re-using the PSU, strictly due to the age. Cables should be ok - it has a 24 pin connector + additional modular cables. Should I be concerned about the age of the PSU?

Any other thoughts?

Over the years I've built three machines so I'm ok with picking parts, building, etc. But I've also learned there is no better source than the Tom's board for best thoughts and advice!

Thanks.

Solution
Don't know how I would test it, other than purchasing a new PSU and trying that?
That would certainly be diagnostically relevant. You could also try using another known good PSU in the system if you can borrow one. I would personally look at it like this; If I get a new system I am going to be getting a new PSU anyways, so I mind as well get that first and see if that solves this issue preventing the new build if I deem it unnecessary. Kill two birds with one stone. If the system has an issue that requires anything else other than a PSU to be replaced I would probably just build a new one at this point.
How old in years to your knowledge is the PSU? I know that the HX PSUs from corsair were good, but I don't know if it would be wise to use one that may be 10+ years old in another system. I would retire it for another budget / older system if its deemed working properly.

GorfTheFrog

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2009
How old in years to your knowledge is the PSU? I know that the HX PSUs from corsair were good, but I don't know if it would be wise to use one that may be 10+ years old in another system. I would retire it for another budget / older system if its deemed working properly.

Hi -
I built the system with new components in 2009, so the PSU is almost 11 years old. I don't know how I would test if this was the problem, other than purchasing a new PSU and trying it. Maybe not a bad idea as a first step, if I'm going to decide to replace the PSU anyway?

Don't know how I would test it, other than purchasing a new PSU and trying that?
That would certainly be diagnostically relevant. You could also try using another known good PSU in the system if you can borrow one. I would personally look at it like this; If I get a new system I am going to be getting a new PSU anyways, so I mind as well get that first and see if that solves this issue preventing the new build if I deem it unnecessary. Kill two birds with one stone. If the system has an issue that requires anything else other than a PSU to be replaced I would probably just build a new one at this point.

Solution
Hi -
Mine was a custom build, but the same year - 2009. I don't know for certain that the problem is not the PSU. Don't know how I would test it, other than purchasing a new PSU and trying that?
The reason I mentioned it....is I suspect it may be the PSU and not the MB.
If I had a PSU around to try...I'd try it.
...and if I didn't have one....I'd get one....and possibly use it one a new build as was said.