[SOLVED] Hard time with latest upgrade on new build

Aug 20, 2020
Hi everybody. I am a new builder and have been having some trouble with my latest upgrade.
For basically the last month to two months I have been looking for deals where I can find them and trying to save some money.

With my latest upgrade I have added a “new” CPU, a Ryzen 5 2600. I was replacing my old CPU, an AMD A10-9700 that I had pulled from an old system. Up until the latest upgrade, my PC worked fine. I was able to get it to boot and enter the BIOS. The BIOS came up with the message that I would need to setup my new CPU in the BIOS. Looked at how I should setup the new Ryzen and found nothing stating that I should do anything other than saving and exiting. So I did exactly that. About 10-15 seconds later, my system shut down and now will only display a black screen.

So far I have attempted a CMOS reset and swapping back to the old CPU. Everything seems to be turning on hardware wise. My best guess is that my MOBO is done or CPU is defective. I am sure that a question like this has come up at least a million times, but anything helps my friends.

CPU: Ryzen 5-2600
MOBO: Asus a320m-k
RAM: Samsung 8GB-DDR4 @ 2400
GPU: MSI GTX 1660
PSU: Corsair TXM850
SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Solution
Okay so looked like the initial problem I was facing was a CMOS reset. I attempted the cmos battery removal technique which I thought I did correctly. Just attempted the jumper method and I was able to get to my BIOS screen. Says that I am currently in version 5222.
Edit: I have the old A10-9700 installed
If you are under under 5222, you have the latest Bios version for this mobo. This is well above the minimum for the 5-2600 which is 3803.
So I would switch off the computer, disconnect from electricity (the wall); take out the old A10-9700 .
Do again a clear CMOS with the jumper. Put the new CPU in place. Try to boot
Aug 20, 2020
Yes you should be able to update.
If you do not update, you PC will even not boot with the new CPU, which is the case.
By the way, what is the BIOS version you have now ?
Okay so looked like the initial problem I was facing was a CMOS reset. I attempted the cmos battery removal technique which I thought I did correctly. Just attempted the jumper method and I was able to get to my BIOS screen. Says that I am currently in version 5222.

If you are under under 5222, you have the latest Bios version for this mobo. This is well above the minimum for the 5-2600 which is 3803.
So I would switch off the computer, disconnect from electricity (the wall); take out the old A10-9700 .

Reactions: Smacker624
Solution
Aug 20, 2020
This did it. Thank you!