[SOLVED] Hard wire router to router?

Feb 14, 2020
I live in cinder block house so wifi does not work very well. In my basement, the isp has put my modem, from there I have a 6 foot cat6 cable to my router,that works perfect in basement, can I take another cat6 cable from my basement router and run it upstairs to my main floor and put another router there to get wifi on my floor. I have completed the cat6 wire job, now wondering if I should put a second router in on my main floor or try a mesh unit or something else? TYI

Solution
Thank You for the reply. I do have a second router,Amped Wireless Router model # RTA1750, AC1750, I'm not sure how to set that up so I can have a hard wired router on each floor. The Amped Wireless Router I guess would be a [ slave] router?
The user's manual for that router -- https://www.ampedwireless.com/media/docs/usersguide/RTA1750_UsersGuide.pdf All the things you need to change are on page 35. You need to set a unique IP address for the router that is NOT in the DHCP range of the primary router. Then you need to set the DHCP server to OFF. Then connect the ethernet cable to a LAN port on the RTA1750 and it is functioning as an access point.
Here is the sticky on how to use a router as an AP --...
Feb 14, 2020
I also would like something like wifi6 on my main floor. Something hard wired with outstanding data transfer data for streaming and gaming. Anyone with some ideas on what I should do?

What you want is called a AP. You do not need a actual AP though you can use any router. Most newer routers have a bridge/AP function but any router can be used as AP even if it does not have this special setting.

Since you want Wifi6 there are not a lot of choices since it is so new. Most those routers are pretty high end devices. You are only going to use the radio part of them so many of the extra features like firewalls or vpn and other software related features will not be usable.

If you have a old router laying around you may want to try that instead. Wifi6 stuff should drop in price as more equipment is added to the market. Your end devices likely do not support it anyway so you would have to wait to use it anyway.

Feb 14, 2020
What you want is called a AP. You do not need a actual AP though you can use any router. Most newer routers have a bridge/AP function but any router can be used as AP even if it does not have this special setting.

Since you want Wifi6 there are not a lot of choices since it is so new. Most those routers are pretty high end devices. You are only going to use the radio part of them so many of the extra features like firewalls or vpn and other software related features will not be usable.

If you have a old router laying around you may want to try that instead. Wifi6 stuff should drop in price as more equipment is added to the market. Your end devices likely do not support it anyway so you would have to wait to use it anyway.
Thank You for the reply. I do have a second router,Amped Wireless Router model # RTA1750, AC1750, I'm not sure how to set that up so I can have a hard wired router on each floor. The Amped Wireless Router I guess would be a [ slave] router?

kanewolf

Titan
The user's manual for that router -- https://www.ampedwireless.com/media/docs/usersguide/RTA1750_UsersGuide.pdf All the things you need to change are on page 35. You need to set a unique IP address for the router that is NOT in the DHCP range of the primary router. Then you need to set the DHCP server to OFF. Then connect the ethernet cable to a LAN port on the RTA1750 and it is functioning as an access point.
Here is the sticky on how to use a router as an AP -- https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...-router-to-a-wireless-ap-access-point.966884/

Solution