HardDisk Not Detected

kenzig

Reputable
Aug 11, 2015
Hello all!

I have added a new drive (SSD drive) to my system and loaded windows 10 on it. Works well until I restart the system. The new drive along with one other drive shows missing (I have 3 Hard drives) and shows only 1 drive, and then it says cannot find operating system! When I remove the SATA cable from the new SSD and boot the system, it detects 2 other drives properly. And now when I again connect the SSD and boot, it works properly. But again when I restart, same problem!
I have checked and replaced all cables, it still wont work!
Another note, my keyboard also stops working when the drives are not detected! Could this be of any relevance?

Rig: 4790K on Z97 Gaming 5, 1 360GB HDD, 1 360GB HDD, 1 240GB Zotac Premium SSD.

Solution
Hey there, @kenzig!

I'd suggest you go to the motherboard manufacturer's official website and make sure you have installed the latest SATA controller and chipset drivers from there. Since it's an SSD, make sure you have configured the SATA mode in AHCI (From the BIOS) as it should be.
Another thing that might help is resetting BIOS back to factory defaults. Keep in mind that the procedure would require you to re-configure all the manual changes you have made in BIOS so far.
Have you tried changing the SATA cables and swapping them around to see if that will make the SSD visible and detected again properly?

Keep me posted with the troubleshooting!
SuperSoph_WD
Hey there, @kenzig!

I'd suggest you go to the motherboard manufacturer's official website and make sure you have installed the latest SATA controller and chipset drivers from there. Since it's an SSD, make sure you have configured the SATA mode in AHCI (From the BIOS) as it should be.
Another thing that might help is resetting BIOS back to factory defaults. Keep in mind that the procedure would require you to re-configure all the manual changes you have made in BIOS so far.
Have you tried changing the SATA cables and swapping them around to see if that will make the SSD visible and detected again properly?

Keep me posted with the troubleshooting!
SuperSoph_WD

Solution