Harddrive and CPU Cooler Suggestions

mwiebelhaus

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
Story - I just got all my parts for my grandparents computer I am building them for christmas, the 250GB Western Digital is too loud and you can hear it seeking, and the stock CPU Cooler on the Intel E3200 Overclocked @ 3.0GHZ is loud. I am always about sound and what I can hear coming from my cause so here is what I need:

Harddrive: Quiet harddrive with a decent size between 250GB and 500GB, less that $60. I do not want to hear it seeking (I don't care much about power consumption). I heard the WD Caviar Green's are very quiet...tell me your opinions.

CPU Cooler: I like the zalman coolers but I hate how they have LED's in almost all of their awesome designs. I want no LED's and it has to fit in a Antec 300 case on a P5G43T-M PRO. It also has to be quiet and keep the CPU cool which shouldn't be hard, I have it overclocked to 3.0 and its at 33C with the stock cooler.

All help is appreciated thanks!

brutalspoon

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
I had really bad experiences with WD Caviar Blacks - I'd recommend a Seagate Barracuda 500GB (ST3500418AS), although Samsung makes good drives too I've heard.

As for CPU coolers, I'd recommend either a Noctua NH-U12P or a Scythe Zipang 2.

mwiebelhaus

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008

Alright, so Sonic, you have me looking at the Spinpoint F3 HDD, do you own this personally or have you heard good things about it. I want a heard drive that is virtually silent and the Samsung site claims it has NoiseGuard, SilentSeek, ATA Automatic Acoustic Management Feature, SATA Native Command Queuing Feature. These all sound like things that will keep it quiet, so is the harddrive really quiet?

Also thanks for all of the CPU Cooler suggestions but all of them are a little out of my range, I saw one that I liked but it was out of stock. I need something < $49, and it has to be purchased on newegg.