Question Harddrive causing stuttering

ville72

Reputable
Jan 15, 2018
So I just recently installed my old HDD that I didn't use since it made an annoying noise caused by the vibration. I now fixed it with rubber bands and installed it again, there's just one problem. It causes some of the things I do to stutter. I mainly play apex legends, and it really stutters a lot now. Idk why, since I installed it on my SSD, not my HDD. Youtube also stutters.

I might unplug my harddrive tomorrow to see if it still stutters to make sure it really is that which causes it to stutter.

if it were storage causing it (assuming you have enough RAM to prevent frequent swap file usage during gaming), it will stop when testing with an SSD instead...; if it's just a glitch, perhaps a quick format/reinstall of latest fresh WIn10 version would cure your woes....

There have been a few Windows stuttering issues caused by recent updates, however...(most started two-three months ago, although the most recent 1809 update a few weeks back also caused a rash of complaints...)

stuttering YOutube? Browser have 'enable hardware acceleration if available' enabled in advanced settings?

I'd be checking CPU temp/processor usage, and, verify processor seems to be ramping up/down to correct clock speeds...(vice stuck at 1200 MHz after a failed OC, etc..)

ville72

Reputable
Jan 15, 2018
I have nothing installed on the HDD except for VRchat. I do have 8gb of ram. My CPU temp is at 58 degrees when running AIDA64. I have overclocked my Ryzen 1500X from 3.50ghz (base clock) to 3.7ghz.