Harddrive clicking noises

Ravi Wijesekara

Reputable
Mar 28, 2015
Hello guys,

I am having a really weird problem with my 500GB Toshiba DT01ACA0 hard drive. My hard disk is about 6 months old, about one month ago my it started giving a clicking noise. The noise started about 5 minutes after booting. The noise was a series of clicks a few seconds apart, while this is going on, my PCs hard disk light (red LED) lights up continuously. And this goes on for some time, (2-3 minutes, sometimes up to 10mins or so), computer is hanged up all that time. But after that, the clicking stops, and it works with no problem at all (until the next restart). I got annoyed with this and just for an experiment installed a new Windows 7 in a different partition of the same drive. And then the clicking stopped completely!!

Now one month after, the clicking is starting again, this time it is much more aggressive. Yesterday clicking continued on continuously, (it first started when Windows has loaded, continued on endlessly, I restarted, then the clicking came even at BIOS stage of startup). So I thought the hard drive is done for, but today when I started up Windows recommended a system restore (I did a lot of restarting yesterday, so I think Windows got messed up), I did it and now there is no clicking.

I don't know what exactly is happening here.
1) If it is a hardware problem, why did it system restores and new Windows installation fix it?
2) If it is a software problem, why did it click even at the BIOS time?
3) Is my computer trolling me?

PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Thanks in advance!!!

Sanjay Srivastava

Reputable
Jul 12, 2014
it is definately a hardware problem

the fact that your clicks diminished after reallocation of windows because the rw head is damaged (or maybe the head axle) which made clicking noises......reallocating the windows means using a different space on the hdd platter,,.,.,., the head was fine but after a few more read and writes the head got damaged more since the head was damaged previously....more damage = more noise.

it would be better that you now take a backup

JPNpower

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013
That sounds correct. Step 0 is always to secure and backup your data.

Next, try to dig out your receipt if you can to claim warranty replacement (RMA). If you cannot, negotiations will be tough and possibly impossible. Then you are out of luck and need to buy a new drive. (Make sure to keep the receipt then!)