Harddrive freezing up

Noel Richards

Reputable
Feb 24, 2015
Howdy everyone,

I have one of these http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-HPE-h8-...
- 4 years ago switched out the GPU for a NVIDIA GTX 650 TI 2GB
- 4 years ago stupidly switched out the PSU for a ULTRA 750w PSU
- 2 Years ago switched out the old HDD for a new 1TB WD Black HDD
- Set up with windows 10 home premium.
- This leaves me with the same MOBO, same RAM, same Soundcard, and CPU. I bought the origional rig refurbished with the quad-core processor hyper-threaded up to 8-cores.

After having the machine for a total of 5 years, I've been pretty happy with it, but don't want to settle yet for starting with a fresh setup.

So... this brings y'all to my issue. Recently, as in the past two days, the HDD has been freezing up. By freezing up I mean that I've been monitoring it through task manager and it will randomly throw the active time up to 100% and the Read/Write speeds down to 0 KB/s. With this, my music will stop playing, my programs will freeze up, my internet will temporarily loose connection, but I'll still be able to move my mouse around and interact with a couple of programs, including Task Manager. This leads me to believe that it could be one of three things:

A) A Hard-drive Issue.

B) A motherboard issue.

C) A power supply issue.

Now, I've searched up fixes for this but most have to do with disabling programs to lower a fairly constant 100% disk usage reading. This isn't the problem, as my disk active time does go down to normal percentages, it just randomly freezes, sometimes once every few hours which is manageable, but other times once every 30 seconds, and it lasts for about 10 seconds.

I've already run a scan with MSE and Malwarebytes, so I don't think its a virus (though I could be wrong, that's why I'm coming here).
It also started acting up after a windows 10 update, though I doubt that could be the cause of the problem.
May I note here that the power supply I have was a cheap one that really isn't that good. I already had a hard-drive get close to failing on my two years ago, and now it's possibly happening again. So, with this, my intuition is telling me that my current power supply isn't getting sufficient power to certain components of the PC.

So my question: So, based on this diagnosis, what do y'all think the problems with my machine are? What might need replacing? What can I run to further diagnose a problem? Anyone dealt with this before?

I have a little money to spend, and am thinking of basically just getting a new, upgraded, machine, but would like to solve this issue first so I can pass the machine down to a friend. Thanks for reading my extremely long post! Hope there's a solution that y'all know about!

TLDR: Hard drive active time is going up to 100% randomly, with read and write down to 0KB/s. Happens sporadically and freezes programs on PC. Help!

UPDATE: I checked the SMART attributes and they pass. I also did a complete check disk and it also passed. Does this mean that it's not a hard-drive problem?

UPDATE: I switched the power supply out with a new EVGA 750w gold PSU and switched out the data cable from mono-hdd. I am still experiencing the same issue, meaning it's either the MOBO or the HDD itself. Any further ways to fix this/determine which?

UPDATE: I also switched the Hard drive out with my old hard drive that was running slow but still wasn't experiencing this problem. At first, it seemed to not experience the same issue, though it was much slower, but alas, I had moments of 0 read/write speed and 100% active time, in which my music would stop playing, and my programs were basically frozen. This has led me to believe that it is an issue with my motherboard, but I would still love all your input Tom's community! Please let me know what you think and whether there is anything else I can do to ensure my suspicions (of the MOBO) are correct before i go ahead and buy a whole new motherboard. Thanks!

UPDATE: Okay, so I used memtestx86 to test my RAM and there seems to be no problem with it either. Looks like that leave the Motherboard and Processor, though I doubt it's the processor. Well, Thanks for the suggestions that were offered but it looks like I'll be buying a new motherboard, which will probably mean new RAM, and a new case.

Solution
I don't see that you actually checked HDD itself, it's SMART attributes or complete checkdisk with bad sector check.
If you know the make of HDD you can pick up test utility from it's manufacturer's site.

Noel Richards

Reputable
Feb 24, 2015

Thanks CountMike!

I found Western Digital's test utility and it found no problems with the SMART attributes. I then ran an extended (or full) check disk and it passed. What's this mean? I also want to note that the test took longer than it should've because the hard drive would freeze up to often.