Question HardDrive no more detect after Avast update (win10)

batoune

Reputable
Mar 27, 2017
Hello

It's the second time I have this strange issue

Avast prompt me for a reboot after an update, I click restart now, and after the restart windows was unable to access my file on my data disk (D: and E: ) but all thing install on the system disk (C: ) work fine and windows boot without error
I try to restart computer again, to see the disk configuration in the disk management tools but either the disque is not even present, or windows is unable to make any action on the disk (format disk do not work)
Each time windows boot wihtout error, disk was visible and OK in the BIOS, and i could see the partition in the desktop menu, but each time I try to open a file in it, windows freeze few second and then show me an error like the file do not exist or the path is wrong

At first I suspect a disk failure (it become old) but when I boot on linux (thanks to an old ubuntu live CD) I could read my data disk, and all my data where available on both partition (D: and E: )
Under linux If I try to make a SMART disk check It's fail on "reading error", but I was still able to acces my data (open text file, image, even launch a video) from the "fail" disk.
I do a full data backup with linux, all file on D: and E: partition were copy fine on an network hard drive, only few Avast file was unable to copy)
Then I format the disk, still under linux
I reboot on window and open the disk management tool and, magic, my disk is back and recognize again by windows who ask me to initialize and format it.
After init and format the disk (with windows), I was able to copy all my data from the backup on it, and all the program install on this disque start working again
Only exception was for Avast (probaly because of the error when backup avast file) that I need to reinstall from scratch
After that I was able to use my computer normaly, without any error for month (doing some windows and avast update) before the exact same error append again just few hours ago, and once again just when Avast ask me for reboot after an update.

I check on Avast forum but I could not find any similar issue
Did someone have the same? It's come from Avast ? From windows 10 ?
Is there any missconfiguration is avast or windows that could explain it ?
How I could be sure it wont append again at one of the next Avast update/reboot ?
Could it be due to disk old age ? (but then why it's work fine for month between the first and second error occurence) ?

Information about my computer :
it's a (old) ASUS N75S laptop
with 2 physical hard drive, both same age and model (Seagate ST9500423AS) one with the System partition (C: ) and the other with data partition (D: and E: )
Windows version is windows 10 PRO 64bits version 1909 (18363.1082)
I use the latest avast free version

do not hesitate to ask me for more information about my computer/windows/avast..... configuration

Baptiste

Ralston18

Titan
Double check that all data is indeed backed up and verified to be recoverable and readable.

You have options available:

Uninstall Avast and just use Windows Defender/Security for a month or so.

Determine if the problem ends or returns.

Run Seagate's drive diagnostic tools to eliminate possible hard drive issues.

Run Windows' "sfc /scannow" via the Command Prompt.

Reference:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

"dism" would be another similar option.

In the "Type here to search box" type " Create and format hard drive partitions".

(No intention of doing a format so do not do that. Would be a last resort if necessary.)

Objective is for you to just capture and post the resulting Disk Management window.

Reactions: batoune

batoune

Reputable
Mar 27, 2017
Double check that all data is indeed backed up and verified to be recoverable and readable.

You have options available:

Uninstall Avast and just use Windows Defender/Security for a month or so.

Determine if the problem ends or returns.

Run Seagate's drive diagnostic tools to eliminate possible hard drive issues.

Run Windows' "sfc /scannow" via the Command Prompt.

Reference:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

"dism" would be another similar option.

In the "Type here to search box" type " Create and format hard drive partitions".

(No intention of doing a format so do not do that. Would be a last resort if necessary.)

Objective is for you to just capture and post the resulting Disk Management window.
Hello,

Sorry for the long delay before my reply, I was moving to a new place, and It's take time to my internet provider for opening the line in my new place!!

Like you say, I have unistall Avast on my computer and use windows defender. No new issue until now, but it was the same last time and the issue make few month to appear again so wait and see...
Like I said I my post, when the disk become unreadable/unavailable with windows, I run a linux live CD to acces it, and "I try to make a SMART disk check but It's fail on "reading error", but I was still able to acces my data (open text file, image, even launch a video) from the "fail" disk."
I have make the same check after disk format, and it was readable again without error, but i'm not sure if this means there is no hard drive issues. I will try the Seagte's and windows drive diagnostic as soons as possible.

thanks for your help

batoune

Reputable
Mar 27, 2017
Post the results of the drive diagnostics.

[Moderator note: Moving thread from Antivirus/Security/Privacy to Storage - potential disk issues.]
Hello,
I have run the seagate tools on my hard drive, and all test come back OK :

The log is in french, (sorry it's my computer language)
But quick translation :
Hard drive short auto test : pass OK
SMART test : pass OK
Generic short test : pass OK
Generic long test : pass OK

And here the full log :
-------------- SeaTools for Windows v1.4.0.7 ---------------
12/10/2020 15:23:23
Numéro du Modéle: ST9500423AS
Numéro de Série: 6WR0CAN3
Révision d Firmware: 0002SDM1
Identification - Dmarr 12/10/2020 15:23:23
Auto Test du Disque Court - Dmarr 12/10/2020 15:24:48
Auto Test du Disque Court - Passe 12/10/2020 15:26:52
SMART - Dmarr 12/10/2020 15:37:52
SMART - Passe 12/10/2020 15:37:59
Gnrique Court - Dmarr 12/10/2020 15:38:53
Gnrique Court - Passe 12/10/2020 15:40:15
Gnrique Long - Dmarr 12/10/2020 15:54:54
Gnrique Long - Passe 12/10/2020 17:26:02

For me, it confirm there is no physical/logical issue with my hard drive, and the issue should come from some weird configuration with avast/my windows which make avast corrupt my disk when update...

Ralston18

Titan
Open Reliability History.

Do you see any disk related entries: error codes, warnings, or even just informational?

The problem being somewhat intermittent I am starting the think that the problem may be physical.

I.e., a problem with existing data or power cables.

However, if two drives are being affected then I am wondering about the PSU's ability to provide power to the drives.

Try opening either Task Manager or Resource Monitor (use both but only one at a time).

Once the computer has booted open the Task Manage or Resource Monitor window and simply observe what the system is doing. Then, leaving the window open try accessing a file and see what, if anything changes. Especially if a freeze occurs.