HardDrive possibly affecting my gaming performance??

GoodFriday

Honorable
Oct 19, 2013
Hello ( I am back)...
This was my old thread http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1846863/fps-suddenly-turned-bad.html
I sort of just gave up on solving my old FPS issue but, I talked to my uncle today and it sparked a new idea I want to look into...

My Specs:
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit service pack 1
Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
8GB ram
Nvidia geforce 650ti
And my power supply is a Dynex 520-watt

Anyways, I have no idea what my Harddrive brand is.. It's 581gb and 7 years old.
I did the windows experience raiting earlier today to find that my harddrive is at 5.5 while the rest of my computer is rated at 7.1 or 7.5
So my uncle suggested buying a new harddrive (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147193)

I've been told countless times a harddrive will not affect the performance of a game or fps. However I have really bad skipping/stuttering in my games where my FPS jumps around rapidly. SO. I was wondering. Would this help my FPS? or if it doesn't would it at least be a good investment? I don't really need 500 gb either, so yeah!
Thoughts...?

Solution
My apologies. I saw princeXmakaveli's comment above me and thought you wanted to play that game. But then again there is no way your hard drive can cause framerate to jump like that.
It really shouldn't affect performance at all, you can play games off a USB stick and the only thing that will be affected is load times.

Skipping and jumping is typically down to running out of RAM, as you have 8GB this is extremely unlikely but not unheard of, if you have a tonne of browser pages open at the same time as gaming that could be your issue, use the task manager to monitor usage. Processor isn't brilliant but is plenty for a 650ti.

If its 7 years old it could be failing, use a performance benchmark like Crystalmark to see if its performing well enough.

GoodFriday

Honorable
Oct 19, 2013
I never have anything open while I play games :( The most my CPU goes to during my most CPU intensive games is 40-50 and my physical memory to 30%
But I will try out Crystalmark

A new mechanical hard drive is going to give you only a 5.9 on the wei so as others have said the cpu is long in the tooth and the system isn't up to par to play BF4 ITS VERY DEMANDING AND FULL OF BUGS LAST TIME I checked but that could have changed since then... Maybe time for a upgrade or a new build.

GoodFriday

Honorable
Oct 19, 2013
BF4!?
I've never played that game in my life, I can't really run any games well and I used to be able to with 90 or higher, now all my games get 60 at max and skip constantly from 60 to 10 FPS. (Also there was no update to any game that caused the FPS issue, it just happened out of no where :( ) I could be standing still on any game on an offline server with no players and I still get 20 fps and it still skips all over the place. I had a feeling it was my processor but I was just curious about this harddrive theory my uncle suggested.

Anyways,
http://oi40.tinypic.com/314x8k8.jpg
results from CrystalMark

GoodFriday

Honorable
Oct 19, 2013
Hmmm it's ok!
I'm more of a LoL/ TF2 enthusiast.
Also, yeah I kind of knew at the back of my mind because countless people have told me it doesn't affect things to that extent and stuff but I just wanted to be sure.
Thanks for the help :x