Robert

Is there any way to test my harddrive other than scandisk. Scandisk says
that there are no bad sectors when I am able to get it to finish running.
Scandisk starts every time I start the computer then hangs at the 60%
complete mark. Occasionally while working with the computer locks up and
says that local drive C is not found. Computer is an I8000
700mhz 10GB 128mb. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Robert

A utility from the HD mfg is often available and preferred. Norton
Systemworks has a Surface Scan feature as part of Disk Doctor, similar to
Scandisk but runs much faster.

"Robert" <rlg@NO.premier1.net> wrote in message
> Is there any way to test my harddrive other than scandisk. Scandisk says
> that there are no bad sectors when I am able to get it to finish running.
> Scandisk starts every time I start the computer then hangs at the 60%
> complete mark. Occasionally while working with the computer locks up and
> says that local drive C is not found. Computer is an I8000
> 700mhz 10GB 128mb. Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Robert

BigJim

well it is a ten gig drive they have been out of production for a while
it is possible the drive is failing.
"Robert" <rlg@NO.premier1.net> wrote in message
> Is there any way to test my harddrive other than scandisk. Scandisk says
> that there are no bad sectors when I am able to get it to finish running.
> Scandisk starts every time I start the computer then hangs at the 60%
> complete mark. Occasionally while working with the computer locks up and
> says that local drive C is not found. Computer is an I8000
> 700mhz 10GB 128mb. Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Robert

"Robert" <rlg@NO.premier1.net> wrote:
>Is there any way to test my harddrive other than scandisk[?]

Find the manufacturer of your hard drive (either in Device Manager or
by physically looking at it) and get the diagnostic from the
manufacturer's WWWebpage. You'll usually get an app that'll build a
floppy, you boot from the floppy and run the diag.