Harddrive Transfer Rates are good one one computer but not the other

PatTapPat

Commendable
Nov 26, 2016
Hello,

I've run into a weird situation with a WD 3tb Red drive. Initially, I thought the drive was failing, but I just popped it into a different computer and it works fine. I'm beginning to think it has something to do with Windows 10.

After about 6 months, reading files off the drive / transferring files to and from it started not working. I would try to copy a movie file from the drive and it would start at good transfer rates, but after about 10 seconds the transfer rates fall to basically nothing. However, transferring files between any of the other drives on the computer work fine.

I popped the WD Red into a different computer to copy the files off of it because I setup a RMA, but lo and behold, the drive works fine on the other PC. Transfer rates are good, reads fine, no problems.

I can't for the life of me figure out what's going on. I think it might be a Windows 10 issue and will do a reinstall of the OS but why would the other drives be work fine?

Solution
Hi there PatTapPat,

That is unpleasant. :(

I believe that it would be a good idea to start with just backing up the data stored on the drive.

Is this your OS drive? In case it is, this could be caused by your OS indeed. In case it is not, you can check if something is accessing your drive. Some third party tools that can show you that.

Apart from that, you can:
- Attach the drive with different SATA and power cables to a different SATA port, that is perhaps on a different controller. Which port is the drive attached to?
- Run both short and extended DLG tests on the drive: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=meSZ5K
- Are your MOBO's drivers up to date?

Let me know how this goes,
D_Know_WD :)
Hi there PatTapPat,

That is unpleasant. :(

I believe that it would be a good idea to start with just backing up the data stored on the drive.

Is this your OS drive? In case it is, this could be caused by your OS indeed. In case it is not, you can check if something is accessing your drive. Some third party tools that can show you that.

Apart from that, you can:
- Attach the drive with different SATA and power cables to a different SATA port, that is perhaps on a different controller. Which port is the drive attached to?
- Run both short and extended DLG tests on the drive: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=meSZ5K
- Are your MOBO's drivers up to date?

Let me know how this goes,
D_Know_WD :)

Solution