Harddrive weird spinning up noise

Emile_1

Reputable
Sep 6, 2015
Hi guys. I have a 1tb samsung harddrive. For 3 months now its been making the spinning up noise. When watching series from drive and i click on next show the drive hangs and spins up again and only after that it will start playing. The feature for shutdown harddrive when not in use is switched off stating never. Is this drive on its way out. I think its about 4 years old already. I have run diagnostic software and its stating harddrive is healthy. But this problem happens everyday the whole day. Any advice please?

Solution
It's strange that these sounds started like three months ago. As the drive is power efficient one, you should have noticed that spindown feature since the day you got it.

Anyway, the SMART data looks good. Though, it would be nice if you back up your data.
One thing you can do is to use different cables and attach it to another port. That way, you will rule out a possible connection related cause.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD :)
Hi there Emile_1,

My suggestion would be to back up the important data stored on the drive. Even if you are not facing any issues with it, you should do so as the drive is 4 years old.

I see that you've tested the drive. Could you please provide a screenshot of the SMART report? Here are some tools you can use: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/282651-32-best-diagnostic-testing-utility

It will not hurt to attach the drive with different cables to another SATA port.

Apart from that, when I google the model of the drive, it pops up as some eco/green model, as popatim suggested.

Cheers,

Emile_1

Reputable
Sep 6, 2015
How to i upload a pic. Used hd sentinel to get smart data. But unfortunately my experience doesn't allow me to understand it. Cant upload from pc pic only via mobile phone

It's strange that these sounds started like three months ago. As the drive is power efficient one, you should have noticed that spindown feature since the day you got it.

Anyway, the SMART data looks good. Though, it would be nice if you back up your data.
One thing you can do is to use different cables and attach it to another port. That way, you will rule out a possible connection related cause.

Cheers,

Solution