Question Hardpage Faults new build latencymon

Nov 16, 2022
Hey all, This is probably a subject that been said many times.

Just built a new build with a 13700k + DDR5 Corsair 32gb Ram using Windows 11.

Used latencymon to check if any issues with audio cut outs and some of the stuttering i been getting ingames only thing latency mon has shown so far is these and I notice hardpage faults popping up quickly i am not clued up on faults so anyone with insight be much appreciated.

wVSUIr.png
mZsaZs.png
JVGE67.png

Colif

Win 11 Master
Hard Page Faults
Badly named normal operation of any operating system that uses Virtual Memory... as windows does.

Page faults - When CPU can't find info in its on die cache and has to look in ram
Hard page faults - Hard page faults means the CPU can't find the info it needs in ram and goes to storage drive.

They are normal, 4k in 22 minutes is a little high but it depends what you were doing in that time

mZsaZs.png

svhost - Service Host. Every service running on PC has a host... alas it doesn't tell us which one it was. The PID only applies to your PC.
System - looks after memory management so makes sense its using some page faults. WIndows see ram & page file as memory.
msmpeng, the 3rd highest total on Pagefaults, is Windows Defender.

It might have run a scan on PC while you ran latencymon, that would explain Hard page faults as it looks on Drives.

Are you having any problems or just checking?

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2022
Hard Page Faults
Badly named normal operation of any operating system that uses Virtual Memory... as windows does.

Page faults - When CPU can't find info in its on die cache and has to look in ram
Hard page faults - Hard page faults means the CPU can't find the info it needs in ram and goes to storage drive.

They are normal, 4k in 22 minutes is a little high but it depends what you were doing in that time

mZsaZs.png

svhost - Service Host. Every service running on PC has a host... alas it doesn't tell us which one it was. The PID only applies to your PC.
System - looks after memory management so makes sense its using some page faults. WIndows see ram & page file as memory.
msmpeng, the 3rd highest total on Pagefaults, is Windows Defender.

It might have run a scan on PC while you ran latencymon, that would explain Hard page faults as it looks on Drives.

Are you having any problems or just checking?

Not experienced any problems some stutters in probably badly optimized games like modern warfare 2. so wondered if this was causing it.

I also checked latencymon on a another computer with clean OS Windows 11 home and again had like 4000 hard page faults in 2mins

just did another test on my main computer from original images ran it for 2mins and it had like 1000 pagefaults.

vIweCU.png
GMkHmi.jpg
GevfBe.png

had a spike also not sure how to fix this

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Nvidia drivers and windows 11... and spikes. I know this story.
What BIOS version are you on?
newest drivers?

which version of win 11?
  1. right click start
  2. choose run...
  3. type winver and press enter
  4. current version is 22H2
if on 22H2 this might help elsewhere - https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/dwm-exe-using-100-gpu-all-the-time-nvidia-fix.3785201/

try this
right click desktop
choose show more options
open Nvidia control panel
select Manage 3d Settings
scroll to bottom on right and pick Power Management Mode
Set it to Prefer Maximum Performance and apply

clean OS could also be indexing and all sorts of other processes that run right after install. I would look at usage after a week.

Nov 16, 2022
Nvidia drivers and windows 11... and spikes. I know this story.
What BIOS version are you on?
newest drivers?

which version of win 11?
  1. right click start
  2. choose run...
  3. type winver and press enter
  4. current version is 22H2
if on 22H2 this might help elsewhere - https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/dwm-exe-using-100-gpu-all-the-time-nvidia-fix.3785201/

try this
right click desktop
choose show more options
open Nvidia control panel
select Manage 3d Settings
scroll to bottom on right and pick Power Management Mode
Set it to Prefer Maximum Performance and apply

clean OS could also be indexing and all sorts of other processes that run right after install. I would look at usage after a week.

Using 22H2,
Nvidia CP already maximum performance.
Asus Hero Z790 0703
Nvidia Driver 526.98

Colif

Win 11 Master
i don't know if the 22h2 thing will fix latency, it might just make less active.

have you got latest drivers for lan and sound as well as those can cause latency
latest nvidia drivers?

There are problems with Windows 11 22H2 and Nvidia drivers as the drivers are running in a debug mode in some applications and maybe that is why a problem I had fixed in 21H2 is now back in 22H2.
Nvidia fixed it from their end with drivers but Microsoft still need to fix it from their end too.

Oddly they have stopped you being able to update to win 11 - https://www.tomshardware.com/news/windows-11-22h2-paused-downloads-windows-update
But not you downloading the ISO of 22H2 and installing that. That seems odd to me. Surely you stop it for everyone if its got a problem.

Colif

Win 11 Master
they still are.

only way to fix it is check drivers
if you want, I can have a look

Can you download and run Driverview - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html
All it does is looks at drivers installed; it won't install any (this is intentional as 3rd party driver updaters often get it wrong)
When you run it, go into view tab and set it to hide all Microsoft drivers, will make list shorter.
Please take a screenshot from (and including)Driver name to (and including)Creation date.

upload it to an image sharing website and show link here

its an unscientific way as I have yet to find a good way to interpret the results of that program. But most of time its caused by drivers, like lan, audio & gpu

Nov 16, 2022
they still are.

only way to fix it is check drivers
if you want, I can have a look

Can you download and run Driverview - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html
All it does is looks at drivers installed; it won't install any (this is intentional as 3rd party driver updaters often get it wrong)
When you run it, go into view tab and set it to hide all Microsoft drivers, will make list shorter.
Please take a screenshot from (and including)Driver name to (and including)Creation date.

upload it to an image sharing website and show link here

its an unscientific way as I have yet to find a good way to interpret the results of that program. But most of time its caused by drivers, like lan, audio & gpu

wx1QwQ.png

Here is what came up.

Odd thing I notice is when opening up security tab "virus & protection" the mouse goes stuttery when moving and not smooth.

It goes smooth when i turn the tab off and put it on desktop it was same when I opened up paint.

Colif

Win 11 Master
what steelseries are you using?

try updating intel management engine interface from here - https://rog.asus.com/au/motherboards/rog-maximus/rog-maximus-z790-hero-model/helpdesk_download/

what are full specs?\
CPU - 13700k
MB - Asus Hero Z790 0703
32gb DDR5 Corsair

just asking about drives. As you have Intel rapid storage tech installed and I wondered if you were using raid. Unlikely to be optane

do you use WIFI or Ethernet? sometimes disabling the adapter of the one you don't use can help with latency

Nov 16, 2022
what steelseries are you using?

try updating intel management engine interface from here - https://rog.asus.com/au/motherboards/rog-maximus/rog-maximus-z790-hero-model/helpdesk_download/

what are full specs?\
CPU - 13700k
MB - Asus Hero Z790 0703
32gb DDR5 Corsair

just asking about drives. As you have Intel rapid storage tech installed and I wondered if you were using raid. Unlikely to be optane

do you use WIFI or Ethernet? sometimes disabling the adapter of the one you don't use can help with latency

CPU Intel I7 13700K,
MB- Asus Hero Z790
GPU - Asus 4080 STRIX
Ram - DDR5 Corsair Dominator RGB White - 6200 MHZ
M2 980Pro 1 TB (OS) M2 980 Pro (Other)
Windows 11 Home Edition.
Corsair Icue H150I Elite LCD 360MM
Corsair HX1000I

I have Wifi & Bluetooth disabled I used wired Ethernet cable.
I am using Steelseries Apex 7 and Steelseries Pro + GameDac headset

I remember trying the Intel MEI think I installed it but it did not show up in Device managers same with Intel Chipset not showing.
uEIwHz.jpg

Is it under bios / firmware Intel ME or under Driver & Tools

Colif

Win 11 Master
seems I am blind and read 2220 as 2230. Need better glasses.

So I can't offer you different nvme drivers, I thought that might help but 980 Pro don't use the Samsung nvme drivers.

is it a steelseries mouse as I know some of them use their own drivers instead of the Microsoft ones, so running steelseries engine and looking at mouse might make it offer drivers. It might explain the strange reaction on some tabs.

Your GPU is literally this week, did you grab new Nvidia drivers yesterday?

Nov 16, 2022
Yeah under device manager when I look at the IDE/ATA/ATAPI controller it currently Standard Sata ACHI Controller,

the Storage Controllers currently Standard NVM Express Controller, alongside Intel RST VMD Controller A7FF, Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller.

I have a Razer Mouse Deathadder

And yes Nvidia Driver that was released yesterday

Nov 16, 2022
I have installed Razer Synapse but no driver updates. same with steelseries.

Checked latencymon is what im getting currently

kfAxdl.jpg

Wonder if I should go back to nvidia drier 522.25
sgFoBP.jpg

still wondering what this mouse stutter is about only on select things.

I had armory crate installed but I removed it using the uninstall tool its too much bloatware though it is enabled on bios.

Last edited: