Question Hardrive Expansion slot killing hdd's?

Mar 22, 2019
My PC as a quick access hdd expansion slot for standard SATA drives. It's right under the cd rom, you open it up and can slide a drive in. I've had a drive in there since I got the PC but recently it started failing. No biggie, this happens. However, I have since replaced it with about 4 different drives and they fail and start clickity-clacking in no more than 48 hours.

Stranger things may have happened but there is no way I have bought 4 duds HDD's in the past 2 weeks. So what on earth it is about this expansion slot that could be killing my drives? It doesn't make sense to me. I also have 2 extra drives inside that I added, again they have been there for quite some time, and they are fine. Its only drives I slide into this expansion slot that fail, and the fail quickly. 2 of the 4 drives when I pulled them out were extremely hot, but not sure if its unusually hot, and i didn't notice they were all this way but 2 out of the 4 I did notice that they seemed to be very hot, but these are also the drives that I heard clicking so perhaps they got hot because they were trying to read/write and failing and it was just hot from the load? The drive basically will drop out of explorer, I don't see it anymore and that's when I notice the mechanical clicking.

Any idea what this could be?