Hardrive making strange noise (shud i buy another one or wat?)

Stevenochango

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2009
Sup guys my hardrive have been making these sound when ever i turn on my pc !! when its turned on it clicks 2 time and continues to click after each 5-6 seconds (not a very loud click but click that can only be heard if the room is in silence)and sometime it freezez at the loading screen !!!

I havent solved the problem permanently but i found a way! i just simply press the reset button and hope it doesnt make the sound again! It works and everything work normally but i need to kno if its a hardware problem or just some power thing???

Windows xp
GIGABYTE S-Series motherboard 945PL-S3
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.20GHz 2MB L2 Cache 800 MHz FSB
2gb Ram DDR2 Running Dual channel
NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS

sailer

Splendid
What hard drive are you using and how old is it? Some hard drives are known to be noisy, Raptors for instance, while others are known to be near failure if a clicking starts. The major problem that I see is not the clicking itself, though that can be serious, but that it sometimes freezes during a load. This indicates the hard drive may be failing.

You do mention a possible power problem, but failed to identify the PSU and how old it is. Start up does put a high load on the PSU and if it is either old and breaking down or simply does not put out adequate power, that could also cause the problem you're experiencing as well.

Stevenochango

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2009

I'm using a seagate hardrive and its not that old i got it about 4 months ago !! i checked the power yestarday and its not the power giving trouble !!!