Aug 25, 2019
Hi Guys,
I have a perplexing problem:

Windows 7 Professional (w/Service Pack 1) 64 bit
ASUS P8Z777-VPro Motherboard - Intel i7-2600k CPU @3.40GHz 3.40 GHz
16 GB RAM

Monitor 1 - Dell 2405FPW
Monitor 2 - Dell 2007FP

I cannot seem to turn on 'Hardware Acceleration'. Under Control Panel >Display>Screen Resolution>Advanced Settings>Troubleshoot, the 'Change Settings" button is grayed out.

I need this to install an instance of Ubuntu in and Oracle VM VirtualBox. Apparently, 'Hardware Acceleration' is required.

I was using 'on board' graphics but after doing a fair amount of reading, I came to the conclusion that this was a result of my graphics card driver and my driver was up to date.

So, I purchased a XFX Radeon RX 570 Graphics card and installed it along with the latest drivers. Unfortunately, this did not correct my problem. The 'Change Settings" button for turning on hardware acceleration is still grayed out.

I'm probably a little out of my knowledge set here.

Can any brilliant minds here help solve my problem?

Many thanks ~ Ken

Solution
I actually bought new cables as the new card was setup with 'Display Port' inputs. I disconnected the older cables from the graphics connection on my motherboard. New cables are DVI on the monitor end and Display Port on the new card. I also downloaded the latest driver for the card.

Check for a newer BIOS for the system the card is in, that old of a motherboard may need newer BIOS to work with the new video cards.

ryzengamer

Great
Mar 19, 2019
You have more options when using a Linux distribution. Latest Wine-staging and DXVK supports thousands of windows games and applications. You can run any OS with KVM and have a near hardware performance.

Aug 25, 2019
When you installed that new card, did you move the monitor cables over to it?

I actually bought new cables as the new card was setup with 'Display Port' inputs. I disconnected the older cables from the graphics connection on my motherboard. New cables are DVI on the monitor end and Display Port on the new card. I also downloaded the latest driver for the card.

Aug 25, 2019
You have more options when using a Linux distribution. Latest Wine-staging and DXVK supports thousands of windows games and applications. You can run any OS with KVM and have a near hardware performance.

Thanks ryzengamer, but that is really not an option for me right now as I have a lot of other apps dependent on my Windows environment. However, I'm glad to know about that and will keep it in mind. ~ Ken

Check for a newer BIOS for the system the card is in, that old of a motherboard may need newer BIOS to work with the new video cards.

Solution