Question Hardware acceleration

Sep 21, 2021
Hello,

the last few months i’ve been struggling with a annoying issue, I narrowed it down to Hardware acceleration not working properly. Whenever I use a program that has HW A enabled:
  • black screen flicker, few second freeze
  • whenever a video is involved -> green screen in the video window followed by blackscreen flicker and freeze

When it is disabled, no issues. Gaming works perfectly fine. I have done everything I can think off to troubleshoot it:
  • reinstall windows
  • reinstall GPU drivers, manually and through GeForce Experience
  • Fresh installation > Chrome immediately caused this issue
  • Temp monitoring
  • all sorts of stress tests and benchmarks
  • Physically check PSU cables, if they were snug
  • Swapped port in my GPU.

Nothing really resolved my problem, turning off HW acceleration isn’t really permanent fix..

my machine: Alienware Aurora R7
i7 8700k
GTX 1080ti
16GB ram
m.2 Toshiba SSD 256GB
2 TB HDD

Any idea how this could be resolved?

thanks!

Hello,

the last few months i’ve been struggling with a annoying issue, I narrowed it down to Hardware acceleration not working properly. Whenever I use a program that has HW A enabled:
  • black screen flicker, few second freeze
  • whenever a video is involved -> green screen in the video window followed by blackscreen flicker and freeze
When it is disabled, no issues. Gaming works perfectly fine. I have done everything I can think off to troubleshoot it:
  • reinstall windows
  • reinstall GPU drivers, manually and through GeForce Experience
  • Fresh installation > Chrome immediately caused this issue
  • Temp monitoring
  • all sorts of stress tests and benchmarks
  • Physically check PSU cables, if they were snug
  • Swapped port in my GPU.
Nothing really resolved my problem, turning off HW acceleration isn’t really permanent fix..

my machine: Alienware Aurora R7
i7 8700k
GTX 1080ti
16GB ram
m.2 Toshiba SSD 256GB
2 TB HDD

Any idea how this could be resolved?

thanks!
could you sent a gpu z screenshot of your gpu here?

Sep 21, 2021
Knipsel.png

try this step by step (read until end):
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall gpu driver DDU (clean and do not restart).
  • Uninstall all the processors on device manager (should be 12 on yours, also when it asks for restart, click on no) like this:
    unknown.png
  • Install ME Update (and reboot if required), and update the bios to the latest then load default or optimized settings after update.

• boot up to windows and install Chipset driver, Asmedia USB, thunderbolt driver, and Serial IO

• Install the latest nvidia driver.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did). Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• And check windows update (and optional updates) if there is any and install them. then enable hardware accelerated graphics scheduling in graphics settings again.
Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
unknown.png

Sep 21, 2021
Took me a while to return to this thread, but here it comes.

Alright, so I did the following. (wanted to be thorough before I returned).

1. Manufacturer's website and downloaded ALL drivers manually (loaded them onto External HDD)

2. Created a bootable USB through Microsoft's Media Creation tool.

3. Booted from USB -- formatted the Windows drive

4. Installed Windows without being connected to the internet.

5. Installed all the drivers I downloaded, offline (so Windows couldn't interfere with it's horrible automations)

6. Rebooted after every installed driver (as recommended)

7. Connected to the internet, and completed the windows update process

8. Issue still persists...

I wanted to be 200% sure it wasn't me screwing up Windows settings, therefor the fresh installation of Windows. I didn't use any tool that scan for drivers and such, all from the manufacturers website with the Service Tag that's on my PC.

Tested a different monitor with HDMI (instead of DisplayPort), changed refreshrate..

I am frustrated to say the least, and I have no clue where this issue is coming from. Hardware Acceleration ON is misery when initially opening an application that uses this feature.

Thanks in advance