• Hey there, Guest! Share your idea for a new trophy in the forums and win bragging rights and a $100 Amazon gift card! Check out the New Community Trophy Contest here!
  • Pardon our dust as we work on some regularly scheduled forum maintenance. You may notice some missing features during this time. Thank you for your patience!

Hardware and Software Compatibility Windows 8 vs Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingOfComputing

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013
I currently run Windows 7 64 bit (Professional) but am in the process of upgrading my computer. The upgrade (CPU, RAM and Motherboard) may necessitate that I reinstall Windows. However, as I have Windows 8 available to me (I am a student and hence can get it with my University) I am wondering if I should take this opportunity to upgrade to Windows 8?, perhaps saving myself some trouble in the future if Windows 7 starts to loses support.

However, I have wondered ever since Windows 8 was released, just how well does it compare with Windows 7 in terms of it's compatibility with software and games? With Windows 7, it was generally the case that anything written for Vista and above would run just fine, as would a lot (but not all) of the software/games written for XP. Does Windows 8 offer the same compatibility as Windows 7 or are there a lot of older programs/games that it will not run?

Secondly in terms of hardware how compatible is it? Does it need dedicated Windows 8 drivers for each device or can you get away with using Windows 7 drivers in the same way Vista drivers normally work in Windows 7 if there isn't a dedicated Windows 7 driver available?

anypctrouble

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013
Windows won't be loosing support for many years to come. Stay with Windows 7 for now as it has less bugs. If your curious about windows 8 just try to make a Dual boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.