Hardware Compatibility for Windows 8.1

Keene

Reputable
May 19, 2015
Hi,
I am using Windows XP right now. And am planning to instal 8.1 instead.
Hardware Info:
Processor: Intel Pentium Cpu
E5400 @ 2.70 GHz
Ram: 2 GB
Display Adapter: Intel 82945G Express Chipset Family

I do intend to get a new 4GB RAM. But based on the above configuration, will I need to change anything else? I don't want to spend much, but do want to have a decent computer that isn't slow either.
Pls let me know.

Keene - yes, You can keep the HDD, everything else will have to go. If You state us a budget, we, or I can give You some shoot-out for what You may get for Your cash.

If You're willing to go for a new system, I strongly recommend SSD. But first things first. What is Your theoretical budget, and what country do You live in, and what is Your prefered reseller?

Keene

Reputable
May 19, 2015
Hi uplink,
could you pls let me know where to look for the info u need? I went to Device Manager and the Properties in 'My Computer' for the info I posted above...

Keene - ooh, that is quite a collectible You've got there pal. Official support ends with Windows 7. So You can try to hit Windows 8/8.1, but there's a very good chance it won't work. And definitely don't count with Gigabyte to help You out there. The mobo is discontinued long enough.

Keene

Reputable
May 19, 2015
i know right! haha.. i was trying to hang on to xp as long as possible... n the machine wasn't bothering either but now thought of getting 8.1

so then, I'll have to get everything new isn't it? (mobo, ram)
I don't have much knowledge of Hardware. So will I have to get a new hard disk too?

Keene - yes, You can keep the HDD, everything else will have to go. If You state us a budget, we, or I can give You some shoot-out for what You may get for Your cash.

If You're willing to go for a new system, I strongly recommend SSD. But first things first. What is Your theoretical budget, and what country do You live in, and what is Your prefered reseller?

Keene

Reputable
May 19, 2015
Unfortunately, I'm in India. So not sure if you'll be able to help me with the pricing...

I would prefer staying with my present HDD for now, in future though I will go for SSD :)
The seller recommended Asus H81 motherboard. Do you think it is good?
Also, I work on Graphics so need a decent machine. Maybe not a roaring lion (coz I can't afford it lol) but still a good one.

For graphics, go for Z97 chipset motherboard, and get some "K" intel processor, so You can OC it in the future. Be sure to get at least 8 gigs of ram, and some decent graphics card for GPGPU acceleration, or CUDA/GCN support.

Keene

Reputable
May 19, 2015
I'll keep the thread open for a while, if u don't mind. It's terribly hot in India these days and it'll take me some time to go out and decide upon a shop, to buy the new stuff n sell the old. Will post here if I have any questions and then pick ur ans. as the solution and then close :)
thx again!!

Keene

Reputable
May 19, 2015
ahahaha you are so right. it is above 45 C here and only the brave dare to step out in the noon. Thanks to your help, got my new machine running at last. Though I miss some of the features of XP but learning to enjoy 8.1 as well. thx once again for all the help :)

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS