Question Hardware compatibility issue?

Apr 2, 2019
Hi all,

This might be a nOOb question, but I would appreciate some advice.

Last year I bought a fairly basic PC, containing an Asus Prime A320-MK motherboard. As I saved up money, I have invested in a replacement SSD hard drive, 16gb memory and a 1050 GTX graphics card - all installed myself and running without issue.

Last month I bought a Ryzen 7 2700, dropped it straight in, changed to the supplied fan with the LED logo - processor fan & casing fans started; LEDs all lit up, drives spun, but no keyboard LEDs and my system wouldn't boot. After re-seating the processor, no difference. Changed back to the Ryzen 3 2200G and everything worked fine - straight into Windows 10, tried the Ryzen 7 again and no keyboard LEDs / no POST. In the end I sent it back and the supplier was great and I immediately got a full refund.

After checking the Asus support page a number of times (https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-A320M-K/HelpDesk_CPU/ ) and checking that it was supported by my firmware (I'm running version 4207) I decided that as the processor is in the supported list that I would try to order another Ryzen 7 2700. Lo and behold, same problems.

Finally I noticed that despite ordering a 16mb L3 cache as per the supported processor list, they are actually shipping a 20mb L3 cache version. Would this be stopping the system from POSTing?

Many thanks in advance, Phil

Apr 2, 2019
That CPU is on the supported list, so technically it should work. As to why it doesn't, I can't say. It has to be a BIOS issue. You could try an older bios, but one who still supports the 2nd gen Ryzens.

Thanks for the explanation re the cache and BIOS, it helped me out to know that it should work! I haven't built a PC for years, but dropping a new processor couldn't be simpler, so I can't think I'm doing anything wrong. Based on the previous advice I have put my hand in my pocket for a new motherboard (B450) I will also try rolling back to the BIOS listed by ASUS as being the first certified compatible. Big help :)