Hardware compression/decrompression

G

How come no one makes a graphics card with built-in video codec hardware decompression and compression? Very few cards seem to have mpeg2 acceleration, and I don't know of any with DivX;-) acceleration yet. It would be cool if the codecs could be kept in firmware so future codecs could be flashed in. Am I the only one who thinks this would be useful?

LordKaos

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001
Man, that´s old news!

S3 had a card like that anout 4-5 years ago!
It used the 868 chipset!

Better burn in Hell with some company than freeze in Heaven all alone

mpjesse

Splendid
Yeah- chips have had built in MPEG decompression since like a long ass time ago. MPEG-2 is so frigin old that no one bothers to put "MPEG Acceleration" in the product specs now-but it's there. =)

-MP Jesse

G

OK, but what about mpeg4, or DivX? Also, if mpeg2 is in all the cards, then why do they make DVD (mpeg2) accelarators? Also, while hardware decompression of mpeg2 may be standard, what about compression, for those performing video editing, or for those that want to convert mpeg2 to DivX, without maxing out CPU resources?

mpjesse

Splendid
The entire Voodoo4/5 and GeForce family come with DVD assist. Of the family there are a few with DVD decoding. If you really want a card dedicated to MPEG-2 encoding and decoding with a halfway decent 3D engine- you won't find one. Matrox makes one, but it's based on their slow G400 chip.

-MP Jesse

G

Actually, I'm more concerned with MPEG4 and later MPEG7 encoding, rather than MPEG2. Besides, Matrox doesn't use a real MPEG2 codec, but rather a proprietary offshoot. I'm pushing for a firmware solution so you don't have to wait a couple of years for hardware to catch up with new codecs. How long has DivX been out, yet there are no hardware solutions out yet. Am I the only high-end user who would rather do these functions with hardware acceleration, and who doesn't want to wait years for hardware to catch up with new codecs? I think we should demand the board manufacturers start including this feature on their all-in-one type boards...