Hardware defect on Core i7 2600k???

Status
Not open for further replies.

jchaim99

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
Hello,

I noticed a small crack (?) on the bottom of my CPU and I wondered if this could be a problem.

I gently patted it with a semi-damp Q-tip to confirm it was not dirt. It appears to be a crack that extends through 2 of the many gold plates on the bottom of the CPU. I hope this picture is clear enough. Image:

http://imageshack.us/f/189/cpucrackedit.jpg/

I wonder if contacting Intel is even necessary. I hope someone can shed some light on this because this little chip is damned expensive!

Solution
Is that a crack or a scratch? Its hard to tell from the picture. If it is a crack I would RMA it with them, its a visual defect that could be indicative of additional issues in the chip and you don't want to have those issues rear their ugly heads in a couple years when its no longer in warranty. As you said, that little chip is damned expensive so it would really suck for it to die an early death.
Is that a crack or a scratch? Its hard to tell from the picture. If it is a crack I would RMA it with them, its a visual defect that could be indicative of additional issues in the chip and you don't want to have those issues rear their ugly heads in a couple years when its no longer in warranty. As you said, that little chip is damned expensive so it would really suck for it to die an early death.

Solution

jchaim99

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
Wow, thank you for all the replies. It arrived like this. Aside from switching heatsinks, nothing I could have done would do that. It seems like somewhere in the manufacturing process these two strips were cut. Does anyone know what the purpose of all of those gold (copper?) plates?

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.