[SOLVED] Hardware Disconnect/Reconnect

Jul 2, 2020
Hello, so ill cut to the chase I keep randomly getting the hardware disconnect reconnect sound, there is no consistency as to when and why it goes off I cant recreate it plus sometimes the time between the separate sounds can vary. Now I could just as easily mute these sounds but I actually tried that and it didn't mute it(??) plus that option isn't ideal because I use this PC mostly for gaming and anytime it disconnects/reconnects it interrupts whatever game I'm playing and drops my frames to single digits.

So far everything I've tried so far hasn't worked. I uninstalled all of my usbs and I've tried using a usb logger to find out if its a specific device thats disconnecting reconnecting but nothing showed up. like nothing at all. Also Hardware trouble shooter came back with nothing.

Hopefully this forum can help because its driving me absolutely nuts.

Jul 2, 2020
Anything showing in Reliability History?

How old are your USB devices?
Thanks for the response! Actually I am seeing a hardware error that started appearing the 24th, has some popups since then but not every day which the the issue im having is. So I dont think its related? also doesn't give me an option for action. As for the usbs age 2 are from a case I've reused for 3 builds now MOBO usbs maybe a year an half old now. But hardware plugged into all these usbs are still working. And it should be getting logged when/what port in the usblog software I downloaded for this issue.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i mean the USB devices like mouse/kb etc. An old device could be causing the noise, last year I had to replace my mouse as it was causing weird errors. I had heard that sound early on but not every time. Can be difficult to isolate if its not constant. mine took a few months to even work out it was my mouse as in my case it would turn GPU off, so I spent time looking at it, not anything else. It was only made clear after I got PC hardware tested and problem didn't occur for them (as you don't give peripherals to repair shops generally)

I didn't think about case :)

If you have had any unexpected restarts, they are seen as hardware errors in Reliability History

Reactions: sl0wtat0
Jul 2, 2020
i mean the USB devices like mouse/kb etc. An old device could be causing the noise, last year I had to replace my mouse as it was causing weird errors. I had heard that sound early on but not every time. Can be difficult to isolate if its not constant. mine took a few months to even work out it was my mouse as in my case it would turn GPU off, so I spent time looking at it, not anything else. It was only made clear after I got PC hardware tested and problem didn't occur for them (as you don't give peripherals to repair shops generally)

I didn't think about case :)

If you have had any unexpected restarts, they are seen as hardware errors in Reliability History
Haha, didn't have my coffee yet for that response completely misunderstood what you actually asked. all my devices are fairly recent like last year recent except my mouse which is like 5 years old I suspected that might be the cause however I sat and waited with it not plugged in at all and it still continued, I've tried isolating certain things(guess I could go through one by one) but if it was a faulty device it would 100% log on this usblog software. Also gotcha those errors are maybe from some OCing

Colif

Win 11 Master
How does the app work? if its just an intermittent signal from the device, it might not be a driver command. We threw everything at my last problem but as I said, it was acting like a GPU problem, not a mouse. It was only in hindsight a few months later that i remembered the 1st time it happened my mouse made that sound at exact same time as screen went off. I don't know how these things are wired at a motherboard lvl to understand why my mouse was turning my GPU off? it is a mystery to me.

All my peripherals are now newer than my PC so I am not expecting any similar problems again. I was expecting my next problem to be inside PC itself, I wasn't expecting it to be a case fan, but thats another story.

I don't know of how to test USB devices. Search results just show windows answers, and that wasn't exactly what i wanted. One at a time is likely only way.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I had a similar issue a few years ago. Random ding/dong of a USB being unplugged. Nothing would ever stop working, just bothersome. It got to a point where it was constantly doing it. In my own case it turned out to be a bad motherboard. I switched it out and the issue went away.

Jul 2, 2020
I had a similar issue a few years ago. Random ding/dong of a USB being unplugged. Nothing would ever stop working, just bothersome. It got to a point where it was constantly doing it. In my own case it turned out to be a bad motherboard. I switched it out and the issue went away.
I'm hoping this isn't the case but it could be its the oldest component in there at 1 year old though.

How does the app work? if its just an intermittent signal from the device, it might not be a driver command. We threw everything at my last problem but as I said, it was acting like a GPU problem, not a mouse. It was only in hindsight a few months later that i remembered the 1st time it happened my mouse made that sound at exact same time as screen went off. I don't know how these things are wired at a motherboard lvl to understand why my mouse was turning my GPU off? it is a mystery to me.

All my peripherals are now newer than my PC so I am not expecting any similar problems again. I was expecting my next problem to be inside PC itself, I wasn't expecting it to be a case fan, but thats another story.

I don't know of how to test USB devices. Search results just show windows answers, and that wasn't exactly what i wanted. One at a time is likely only way.
My screen doesn't cut off or anything but if it occurs my frames will drop to like single digits and interrupts very abruptly. Especially when it rapid fires

Jul 2, 2020
Uh oh I think I found the culprit. I went to go get an example of how the app works and this finally starting logging right with the notifications. This also explains why all my peripherals work fine.

I checked my temps almost instantly because I worry about my OC'd chip and they are perfectly fine but I am going to shutdown and check connections to see if that fixes it. Hopefully I dont need to buy a new cooler or mobo
View: https://imgur.com/a/WV6zOaU

Jul 2, 2020
i have to add Corsair coolers to list of possible USB devices, I forget they have a connection on them. At least you narrowed it down now.. that is much of the battle won :)

Could try updating motherboard BIOS
Bios had to get updated very recently for my i9 so thats fine. I checked my connections and low and behold the mobo usb connection was about halfway out seems my cable management was a tad too tight and pulled it enough to be wonky. So far nothing has been logged so seems to be fixed Yay.

TRENDING THREADS