Question Hardware failure from unknown source. Disappearing sound devices and massive lag.

May 29, 2019
I self-built my PC.

I’m suspecting some sort of hardware failure but am at a complete loss as to the source. All of my games lag horribly, and I experience a lot of sound stutter. The sound starts ‘popping’ in and out. As far as detection of my devices go, the PC will ‘see’ and then ‘not see’ my headphones. All of my devices are USB (headphones, keyboard, mouse) but it’s only the headphones that I have this problem with.

I’ve checked and double checked that all my drivers are up to date as well.

It happens any time I start running multiple programs or anything that slightly taxes my resources. Resource management never clocks anything above 80% (when I’m gaming), but it happens if all I”m running is Discord.

I cleaned it recently but I think that made it worse and heat-wise it never rises over 40°C. I feel like my specs are more than powerful enough that it shouldn’t be resource management of any sort. I’m suspecting hardware failure of some sort but that’s really all I know at this point.

SPECS:
Windows 10
Motherboard: MSI Gaming 970
Processor: AMD FX 8350
PSU: EVGA 750 W Supernova
GPU: PNY GTX 1050Ti
RAM: 16 Gb

I have no clue what what the source is, so any and all advice I'd be grateful for.z

PS. For some reason, streaming Dragon Age II has no problems whatsoever?? But most of my other games turn into trap remix.

May 29, 2019
I would try to first re-seat your RAM; it is an easy enough process that has fixed many a weird problem. After that, I would reset your CMOS. You can do this by unplugging the power cord from your PC, and holding the power button for about 15 seconds. If your sound card is on-board, this might help to "clear it."

I would also re-seat or replace all of your audio cables. If the problem still persists, try to play with a different pair of headphones.

May 29, 2019
After weeks of frustration I got fed up and started 'purging' sound devices. (I had made sure all my sound drivers were up to date but hadn't uninstalled them.).

After removing all of my sound devices and restarting several times, the problem completely disappeared after I removed the Logitech software (which includes drivers) from my system. I had three sound drivers all competing -- my motherboard sound drivers, (MSI), WIndows Realtek, and Logitech.

Since the sound was fixed, I never went back and reinstalled anything; whatever automatic device installations from windows startup is what I'm using.

The only downside is that I have both a Logitech keyboard and headset, and with the software removed I have zero control over the keyboard as well (lighting, presets, macros). But with working sound and no stutters it's an easy choice.