Question Hardware Failure (Not sure which component)

Jan 28, 2020
I recently upgraded my entire system aside from my GPU which is 5 years old (GTX 760). I was playing WoW and everything froze and the screen started turning wacky colors and had a white checkerboard appearance along with it. Every component in my PC is less than 2 months old aside from my GPU? Do you guys think my GPU is failing or another component possibly? I don't have integrated graphics or another card to test it with.

Bassplate

Reputable
I recently upgraded my entire system aside from my GPU which is 5 years old (GTX 760). I was playing WoW and everything froze and the screen started turning wacky colors and had a white checkerboard appearance along with it. Every component in my PC is less than 2 months old aside from my GPU? Do you guys think my GPU is failing or another component possibly? I don't have integrated graphics or another card to test it with.
Hi there :benetton:
Did your PC start up after this thread happend?Does it still appear everytime you try to run games?
Have you tried reinstalling your Graphics driver?
With your upgrade did you make sure that everything is compatible with your graphics card(Which i guess it would be)
The graphics card can reach its time yes but not likely....Just put thermal past on the GPU again if it can be overheating as well(I think after 5 years that thermal past on the GPU should be worked out!
Run an compatibility scan on your PC and check your system components Temperatures....
Check if the graphics are perfectly connected and use a other screen to test and a other screen cable as well and see if the problem remains...

Jan 28, 2020
Yah everything is compatible, I had the most current divers as well. I found out my gpu was artifacting as it crashed. It only artifacts and crashes once I put it under a load.

Bassplate

Reputable
Yah everything is compatible, I had the most current divers as well. I found out my gpu was artifacting as it crashed. It only artifacts and crashes once I put it under a load.
I Might have one more suggestion tho...
Disconnect your GPU and hopefully you can reach your bios by connecting your screen onboard...
IF you can only get into bios then you go change the chipset settings from PCI to PCI Express slot...That can maybe work as well

Jan 28, 2020
You think it would? My GPU has been running with no issues up until last night. I think you might be right with the thermal paste fix or replacing the card. I don't think its my other components, I don't have any graphical artifacting until I load up a game.

Bassplate

Reputable
You think it would? My GPU has been running with no issues up until last night. I think you might be right with the thermal paste fix or replacing the card. I don't think its my other components, I don't have any graphical artifacting until I load up a game.
Yeah...Well strangely enough one time i experienced that an faulty GPU can reset Bios as well.Like there was an mini short or something on it and i also struggled with an black screen sometimes and that my screen freezes and ends up restarting.
So maybe Your GPU has reset your Bios and that every setting is been loaded to default...and that your Chipset is been set to PCI and not PCI express(Your Graphics card is an PCI express card the GTX760)
I may be wrong or Simply just do a fresh clean reinstall of your Windows(IF it could maybe be drivers or something)

Jan 28, 2020
Do you think it could be a ram issue? I don't know if Ram can cause artifacting, my ram is 2 months old. I dusted out the GPU and the result was my computer was able to recover from the artifacting. It didn't hard reset, the screen artifacted, then turned black and resumed back at the desktop and I was able to close the game and the artifacts went away. It's once I either stress my RAM or GPU it seems to artifact.

Jan 28, 2020
The card was only at about 120 degrees F when right before it crashed. So i'm not sure if its a VRAM issue or a thermal one. Can VRAM's go bad after long term use?