Question Hardware Failures When Running Multiple DIMMs

Jul 22, 2019
After completing my latest build, I noticed that the system can take up to a minute to post. I am using a Ryzen 5 3600 with an MSI B450 Tomahawk board and 16gb of 3200mz memory.
Additionally, the system would occasionally blue screen with the code MEMORY_MANAGEMENT and both AIDA64 and the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool reported memory hardware failures.
After removing one of the two DIMMs, the post times dropped to only a few seconds and there were no detected hardware failures. This was identical across both DIMMs when tested one at a time.
However, when I tested running both DIMMs at the same time, the errors reappeared, regardless of which slots the DIMMs occupied. I also tested the DIMMs in dual and single-channel configurations, and the errors persisted.
Additionally, changing the memory timings in the BIOS causes the system to fail to post until I reset the CMOS.

Does anyone know a solution to this problem, or is this more likely a failure of the motherboard/CPU memory controller?
Thanks all.

TLDR: System behaves normally when using only one 8gb DIMM, but crashes and reports hardware errors with 2 DIMMs in any configuration.

1st check would be, is your memory on the motherboard's QVL for memory? My understanding is that Ryzen is much more sensitive to memory issues. Not being on the QVL doesnt necessarily mean the memory doesn't work, but either it wasn't tested, or didn't pass the tests.

Are you running the memory at stock (not AMD XMP equivalant) settings in order to test?

Just want to reiterate and add:

ALL stability testing should be done at stock setting. This includes CPU stock settings as well as the standard (not XMP) memory profile.

If your memory ISN'T on the MB vendor QVL for that board, this could potentially be an issue, for the reasons stated above.

Forgot to ask, was the memory sold and purchased as a matched pair? Not a guarantee, but a mismatched pair can cause the issue stated.

The memory could still be bad.

Do you have a DMP file of the bluescreens? Some bluescreen codes are more indicitive of hardware memory failure. Others may be virtual paging file related (HDD).

The boot delay makes it sound more like hardware, but if you moved a previous hard drive with Windows into the system, and didn't clean install windows, this could also be contributing to the problem.

A possibility of it being a MB/CPU issue can't of course be ruled out, but before RMAing those parts, the above does need considered..

Hope you get your problem fixed easily. Computer gremlins can be maddening sometimes.