Hardware found for a new build - opinions?

mrsamdk

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
Hey All,

I'm currently in the process of building a new computer, and trying to find out what components to buy.
I've looked around and been able to compile a list. Seeing that im not a big computer tech, I would really appreciate if someone could give me their opinion on the setup.

Here it is:
CPU:
Core i7 I7-920 8 MB (Intel Boxed)

Motherboard:
Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P

GFX:
Club 3d HD5850

RAM:
OCZ Platinum 3 x 2 GB

PSU:
Corsair TX650W

Cabinet:
Antec Three Hundred

I've pretty much maxed out my budget with that setup. Would everything here seem to work properly together? Any potential issues with this hardware?

I'm going to run Windows 7 64 bit and are mainly going to use the computer for work related programs as the Adobe package (photoshop etc), 3dsmax however I would like to be able to play some of the newer games on the market.

Opinions?

JDV28

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2009
Everything there is compatible, for the graphics card you may want to go with an XFX 5850 instead of that brand, with more popular brands its easier to get it replaced if something goes wrong and they usually have better warranties. But if it is a big price difference then dont worry about it. Thats a good build that you will be able to run just about any modern game on and anything else you throw at it.

mrsamdk

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
Thanks a lot for the replies guys, happy to hear it seems like a good build, I alwasy struggle to see if there's any compatible issues.

I just looked at the XFX 5850 - its actually 20 pounds cheaper then the one on my list, but sadly waiting time in Denmark is 10+ days for it, where I can get the other within 2 days :)

shovenose > Everything will end up around 800 pounds (almost 8000 danish krone).

You might want to consider a motherobard with SATA 6.0 GB/s and USB 3.0.

ASUS P6X58D Premium LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Asus has true True SATA 6Gb/s +USB 3.0, which means it doesn't subtract form PCIe lanes.

mrsamdk

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
I did actually end up chosing the motherboard suggested:

P6X58D Premium LGA 1366 Intel X58

And upgraded the RAM to a version better of the OCZ