[SOLVED] Hardware Installed but Failed to Posy

amerifax

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
The hardware is all installed. I just ran my first test and it failed to Post.
The keyboard did not activate, and the monitor stayed black.
I checked the USB port with my headset and found that the port is active. My graphics card has two white lights that display as active. My motherboard displays a constant red light. My case fans work.

I called Asus, and the technician suggested that I short the CLRTC pins. I'm reluctant to do that until I get a second opinion. I'm open to suggestions.
Bob

Solution
The behaviour you cite, including the brief lighting of the BOOT LED, suggest this system is completely failing the initial POST process. So why? It may be a failure of power to the mobo, and that may be caused by a short circuit somewhere.

I assume this is a new build. ONE common cause of a short circuit is in the improper use of the stand-offs under the mobo. They support the mobo plus keep it properly spaced away from the rear mounting panel in the case. Typically there are nine mounting holes in the mobo, three rows of three, BUT there are several variations. Cases often arrive with stand-offs pre-installed in the main mounting panel in commonly-used locations, but these may NOT be right for your mobo. Some do NOT have them...

amerifax

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
monitor connect to the gpu? using dp? hdmi?
I tried both DisplayPort and HDMI with the same result, nothing. I also reinstalled the CPU.

My Asus Strix-GTX980-DC20C-4GD5 card has 2 - 6Pin and 1 - 2pin, which I have connected with a 2 - 6Pin and 1 - 2pin cable. I believe it's the same cable that came with the monitor card. The cable is connected to the Power Supply. I tried both ways. connecting to the MoBo and the Power Supply with the same negative result.

The fact that the Qled gives me a quick blink at startup than no lights seem rather strange.
Bob

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
The behaviour you cite, including the brief lighting of the BOOT LED, suggest this system is completely failing the initial POST process. So why? It may be a failure of power to the mobo, and that may be caused by a short circuit somewhere.

I assume this is a new build. ONE common cause of a short circuit is in the improper use of the stand-offs under the mobo. They support the mobo plus keep it properly spaced away from the rear mounting panel in the case. Typically there are nine mounting holes in the mobo, three rows of three, BUT there are several variations. Cases often arrive with stand-offs pre-installed in the main mounting panel in commonly-used locations, but these may NOT be right for your mobo. Some do NOT have them pre-installed - they are in a bag and you install. Either way, there are two rules: (a) there ought to be one stand-off under each mounting hole for support, if at all possible; and (b) there must NEVER be a stand-off under the mobo where there is NO matching mounting hole in the board. If you are not familiar with all of this, post back here for details how to inspect and adjust.

Another less common possibility arises IF you happen to have used fans that come with BOTH fan connectors and Molex connectors on the ends of one cable. IF you have that fan type, tell us.

Reactions: amerifax
Solution