Question Hardware issue but I have no clue what it means

rcsverige

Commendable
Mar 15, 2021
I recently had a game playing and tabbed out to do something. I didnt touch it for at least 25 minutes so it went into sleep mode. When I came back and clicked my mouse to start the pc back up, nothing came up on the screen except for a grey bar that covered the length of the screen and continued to get brighter as if it was some old tube tv. I decided to look in problem reports and this is what came up.
View: https://imgur.com/a/9Pa7M7Q

and here is the technical details. I have no idea what happened there because it never has happened before... Granted, I let a game run in the background as I was tabbed out to the desktop and chrome.
View: https://imgur.com/a/ZRqQftF

Some of the errors say that windows shut down unexpectedly but I dont ever recall that ever happening. Maybe I am misunderstanding that?

cool bug. something went wrong with your usb 3
then I think windows error reporting did a live debugging attempt, created a live memory dump and sent it to microsoft. if it is a known problem you should look in windows update for a fix.

you can go to your motherboard vendors website and update the bios, the chipset drivers, and any usb 3 drivers. Note: if your system has thunderbolt you might have to update that also. (might be a firmware update)

in the past, I have seen this on machines that have a actual bug in the USB support chips on the motherboard. Old machines may not have a fix.
note: this can also be due to something connected to the USB 3 bus.
(external or internal connections) for example a internal webcam can be connected but the drivers might not be current and might not wake correctly could cause this error.
fix would be to update the driver or tell windows not to put the usb hub into low power mode. to do this you would have to run control panel, device manager, find the hub or device. the right mouse click on the device to bring up properties. Find the power management tab and find the option to tell windows not to turn off the device to save power.

note: not reported flag might mean the dump was never sent to microsoft.

Last edited:

rcsverige

Commendable
Mar 15, 2021
then I think windows error reporting did a live debugging attempt, created a live memory dump and sent it to microsoft. if it is a known problem you should look in windows update for a fix.

you can go to your motherboard vendors website and update the bios, the chipset drivers, and any usb 3 drivers. Note: if your system has thunderbolt you might have to update that also. (might be a firmware update)

in the past, I have seen this on machines that have a actual bug in the USB support chips on the motherboard. Old machines may not have a fix.
(external or internal connections) for example a internal webcam can be connected but the drivers might not be current and might not wake correctly could cause this error.
fix would be to update the driver or tell windows not to put the usb hub into low power mode. to do this you would have to run control panel, device manager, find the hub or device. the right mouse click on the device to bring up properties. Find the power management tab and find the option to tell windows not to turn off the device to save power.

Interesting.
Shortly after that (about an hour or so later) while I was playing a game, my keyboard stopped working so I had to unplug it and then plug it back in and it worked... Then when I finished the game I could scroll in google chrome. When that first issue happened, I hit the reset button for the first time so idk if the PC just didnt shut down normally and caused issues when it came back on. I did an actual restart and then everything seemed to work fine. Ill check out the updates for the BIOS and other devices as well. I just hope I am not having a MB issue that needs replacing because the MB is only 2 years old (ASUS Prime B550M-A). I have put a TON of hours on this PC... Like a depressing amount lol.

rcsverige

Commendable
Mar 15, 2021

Sorry I forgot to ask. There are so many drivers and Bios firmware updates on the asus website for my specific MB. I have updated other drivers on my system before which never seemed overly complicated but this does. Any suggestions or guides that provide a good direction on how to do that? I ofcourse am looking in to youtube videos as well.
Thanks for any help and the help that you already gave :)

ubuysa

Distinguished
Have look in the folder C:\Windows\LiveKernelReports and see whether there are any dump files (.dmp) in there with date-stamps relevant to your problems. If so, zip them up and upload them here. It's possible they might contain some useful clues.

rcsverige

Commendable
Mar 15, 2021
Have look in the folder C:\Windows\LiveKernelReports and see whether there are any dump files (.dmp) in there with date-stamps relevant to your problems. If so, zip them up and upload them here. It's possible they might contain some useful clues.
Hey so I looked but there was nothing in there. Just two folders (USBHUB3 and WATCHDOG) and within those folders was nothing.

Hey so I looked but there was nothing in there. Just two folders (USBHUB3 and WATCHDOG) and within those folders was nothing.
Windows moves the reports as it gets ready to send it to microsoft. Generally, I would start cmd.exe as a admin then run
cd c:\
dir /s *.dmp

This will show the location of all of the dmp files on your machine

this tool can often show problems in the usb tree:
USB Device Tree Viewer (uwe-sieber.de)
(errors from certain usb devices or bad ports)
for example, sometimes pluging in certain apple devices will cause the port to cycle on and off. (apple devices pull too much current, the port shuts down, then restarts over and over.

window control panel device manager, you might find the usb hub and tell windows not to shut them down to save power.
(right mouse click to bring up properties, then find the power management tab, and uncheck the checkbox)

Last edited:

rcsverige

Commendable
Mar 15, 2021

Hey I just wanted to update you. Been busy preparing for a Politics exam. Today I opened up Reliability history and had no red x errors. I decided to try something. So I have a USB extension cable so that I can plug in my Vape and boght my USB to USBC extension to that (my vape is a USB C port for charging)... I plugged it in and then unplugged it and sure enough I received that red X on reliability hisotry for hardware error. Windows has notified me multiple times that the Device isnt recognized. So I guess that is the issue.

ubuysa

Distinguished
Nice detective work! ;)

The only way to know is to not use that cable for a couple of weeks and see whether the system is stable. Then you can try using it again to confirm that the system becomes unstable.

Or you could just buy another cable!

USB-C Release 2.1 spec should update the wattage from 100W max to 240W max
I would just get a stand along adaptor for your vape
if the device pulls too much power, the port will just turn off and on over and over (many times a second) (assuming a current generic microsoft driver)
no one cares/notices if a wall adapter turns on and off dozens of times a second. You might notice if your mouse/keyboard and other usb devices turning on and off many times a second.

most likely the motherboard was using usb 3 -c spec 2.0 (100 W max)

Rev 2.1 was published 2021-05-25 (USB PD - Extended Power Range - 48 V - 5 A - 240 W)
Rev 2.2 was published 2022-10-18, primarily for enabling USB4 Version 2.0

Last edited: