Hardware issues. Potential problem with either my PSU or my Motherboard

shaunofnintendo1

Prominent
Oct 1, 2017
Given that that issues I've been having is potentially related to one of two components (or maybe even both), I found it best to put this thread in the Systems thread. If anyone here knows of a thread more appropriate for this issue please do let me know and I'll gladly move it.

Currently I am unable able to turn my PC on.

Seeing this issue, I first turned my attention to my PSU (a Corsair RM650x) to see if it had developed problems supplying power.

I removed my PSU from my PC, disconnecting all connections to each component in my system. (this was made way easier by having a modular PSU)

I took the 24 pin connector and did the "paper clip" test to see if I was able to supply power to one of my fans. I was able to.

At this point, I was starting to believe that it was my Motherboard that was dead. To be extra sure, I pulled an old PSU out from an age old Dell PC we had hanging around the house. I connected this to the 24 pin connector on my Motherboard to see if any of the POST lights would turn on and still no luck.

So at this point, it really is looking like my Motherboard is the culprit here, but I really want to be extra sure about that. I've contacted Amazon about my PSU potentially being the issue and I currently have a replacement unit on the way (to be here by Wednesday Oct 5th)

However before that arrives I would like to do as much troubleshooting as I possibly can to rule out any other possible suspects.

I have uploaded two videos to YouTube fully walking through the problem since it may help better demonstrate the problem.

Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oB2K5ddVeXk
Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUvC7o0iQpo

Thank you very much for your time!
Shaun

EDIT:
Forgot to list my components.

CPU: Intel - Core i7 4790k 4.0GHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-Z97X-Gaming G1 ATX
RAM: Kingston - HyperX Fury 16GB (2x8GB)
GPU: EVGA GTX1070 8GB
PSU: Corsair RM650x 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Link to Pcpartpicker: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/cfg8QV

IF this is a new build and you've never seen it turn on before, ever:

This could be ANY part that's failed or a short causing everything to not power up in an effort to "protect" the components from further damage. You should strip the board out of the case and free of any extra components (i.e. graphics card, etc.) and try to power it up outside the case to see if the motherboard is actually dead.

Judging by the amount of dust around your case fans, I'm going to assume this was working before today.....

So.....

IF this PC was working before: Your motherboard is dead. Not the PSU.

Your PSU is technically "always on". It has to get a signal from the motherboard to "turn on", i.e. "come out of standby". If the motherboard is dead, that signal ain't never going to happen and it just sits there like a Yugo in a scrap yard.

shaunofnintendo1

Prominent
Oct 1, 2017

Yeah, you're right, this PC was working before today.
So, let's go with the Motherboard being dead. What would you suggest I do? (aside from buying as new one that is)
Would it be okay for me to leave my components sitting as they are until I'm able to get new hardware or would it be safer to me to remove everything from that Moterboard asap?

leoscott

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
I wouldn't assume the motherboard yet. I went through a similar problem about a month ago. I replaced the PSU and the motherboard and no difference.
One of the things that happens with modern PSUs is when they get hit with an overcurrent condition, i.e. component failure, they crowbar. Crowbaring is locking out so they WON'T come back on and burn components out. To unlock the crowbar condition you have to REMOVE the power cord, i.e. ground, and let the caps bleed down. About 1 minute will do. So uncrowbar the PSU and while it's bleeding down remove the video card and all but one stick of ram and all other cards in the computer. Then try and start it. If it starts up now do a hard shutdown, hold the power button in until it shuts off. Then plug one component in at a time and repeat the power cycle routine. When you add the failed component back in you will crowbar the PSU again but you will have found the failed component. In my case it turned out to be the EVGA 980GTX video card, which, luckily, was still under warranty. I had removed and tried a restart without the card, but dummy me, I forgot about PSUs crowbarring, and it did not restart with the card out. I hope my experience helps.

This is true. So even though this was a working PC, if you want to do some due diligence, go ahead and strip it down and test the board outside of the case with minimal components. I mean... if the board is dead, you're going to have to pull it out anyway, so you're not wasting any time doing some extra testing.

I've seen something as simple as a bad SSD cause an entire PC to not power up. So it's worth a shot.

shaunofnintendo1

Prominent
Oct 1, 2017

Hey leoscott,

Thank you for this suggestion. I just got done removing my GPU, and one of my two RAM sticks like you suggested.
I plugged the 24 pin connector into my Motherboard and I had the same result (that being the power button on my Motherboard would flash for a fraction of a second when turning on the PSU)

I also tried with switching which RAM stick was on the board and I got the same result.

Thank you so such for this suggestion though. This really helped me narrow things down further.

No. REMOVE ALL RAM. Unplug ALL drives. From the PSU and from the motherboard (power and SATA cables). Remove ALL CARDS. And do it with the motherboard outside of the case.

ANYTHING can cause a short. LeoScott was just saying in his case it happened to be the graphics card. He only went as far as trying one stick of RAM at a time. Not every scenario is the same. Not all parts die the same way at the same time.

You built this machine, right? Somebody didn't build it for you, right? Get your hands dirty.

shaunofnintendo1

Prominent
Oct 1, 2017

I did remove my drives, don't worry, I just forgot to mention it, sorry.

Took the mobo out of the case as well with nothing but the CPU in it and I still the power button on the mobo flicked on for a fraction of a second.