Hardware monitor error

ltg2227

Distinguished
May 3, 2009
motherboard: Asus P4B-LX Bios: version 1005
processor:p4 1.5Ghz

The problem i'm having is when i first boot up it displays this "Hardware monitor error". The biggest prob. i have is i can't boot from cd drive to do a clean xp install.I went into bios and there is no "halt error(something like that) to disable. temps seems to be ok(nothing in red) although the power supply was replaced a while back. any help would be great!

ltg2227

Distinguished
May 3, 2009
as a follow up i went into bios hardware monitor and these are the readings

MB temp 41C/105.5F
CPU temp 44C/111F
CPU fan speed 4218 rpm
power fan speed N/A

vcore v 1.7v
+3.3v 3.2v
+5v 5.0v
+12v 11.7v
-12v 11.9v

this is not my normal using pc, just one someone gave me and i'm trying to fix. so trying something is
not a big deal.

Disable any hardware monitor entry for devices that are not available, e.g., the power fan speed, etc. Also make sure that the previous owner didn't incorrectly set a voltage or temperature threshold (if that's available with that motherboard).

ltg2227

Distinguished
May 3, 2009
Thanks for the reply, I can't disable the powerfan speed option,it is greyed out and won't let me do anything to it. Also i set the "default" settings and that didn't help either. How do you "set a voltage or temp. threshold"?

ltg2227

Distinguished
May 3, 2009
ok i disabled all the items in the Hardware Monitor section(all items in 2nd post) and still the same thing happens so i just enabled all. Also i noticed in the "Boot" section the "silent boot" option is enabled, would this make any difference?

ltg2227

Distinguished
May 3, 2009
well disabling the "silent boot" just disables the manuf. logo from coming on just before the error screen comes on. Also there is a single beep when the pc boots up. Just trying to describe my situation as best as i can. i'm beginning to think my CPU fan may be failing but i runs fine(i guess). i'm really stuck!

A P4 CPU fan isn't expensive, but are you willing to buy parts in order to figure out the issue with such an old system? AFAIK, if the CPU fan was failing, the error should be ignored when CPU fan speed is disabled. Are all BIOS settings correct? Why won't it boot from a CD if the system is configured to boot from CDROM before the hard disk? When error "Hardware monitor error" is displayed, pressing F1 should allow the boot process to continue.

ltg2227

Distinguished
May 3, 2009
A P4 CPU fan isn't expensive, but are you willing to buy parts in order to figure out the issue with such an old system? WELL, I THOUGHT I WOULD SET UP FOR AN EXTRA,MAYBE FOR KIDS OR FOR 2ND PC SPARE,NOW THIS IS TURNING INTO A QUEST.
Are all BIOS settings correct? I ASSUME SO. I HAVEN'T REALLY MESSED WITH ANYTHING BUT DID SET TO DEFAULT THEN MADE THE ABOVE CHANGES.
Why won't it boot from a CD if the system is configured to boot from CDROM before the hard disk?THAT IS WHAT THIS ALL ABOUT.NORMALLY THE FIRST THING YOU SHOULD SEE IS THE "PRESS ANY KEY TO BOOT FROM CD" WHEN YOU CHANGE BOOT ORDER BUT IT NEVER COMES ON,THE POST COMES ON WITH THE ERRER MESSAGE RIGHT AFTER I POWER IT UP. IT HAD WIN2000PRO ON IT,I CHANGED TO XP BUT ONLY AN UPGRADE INSTALL NOT A CLEAN INSTALL. I CAN'T DO A CLEAN INSTALL AFTER IT BOOTS UP.