[SOLVED] hardware needed for networking 2 computers and modem

Zaffer

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2013
HI, I have two Windows 10 computers and an ATT cable modem. I would like to network the two computers together for file sharing. I am totally new to networking. The ATT cable modem as 4 Ethernet ports, two of which are used by my two computers. Do I need to buy a router to connect the two computers together for file sharing and connect both to the cable modem? If so, what kind of router do you recommend? Thanks.
Zaffer

kanewolf

Titan
HI, I have two Windows 10 computers and an ATT cable modem. I would like to network the two computers together for file sharing. I am totally new to networking. The ATT cable modem as 4 Ethernet ports, two of which are used by my two computers. Do I need to buy a router to connect the two computers together for file sharing and connect both to the cable modem? If so, what kind of router do you recommend? Thanks.
Zaffer
Your two computers are already connected by the two cables you have going to the ATT modem/router.
You need to be sure the network type is listed as "PRIVATE" on each computer -- https://www.groovypost.com/howto/change-network-profile-public-private-windows-10/
Verify that the workgroup for each computer is the same.

Reactions: Zaffer

Zaffer

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2013
Thanks you Kanewolf and USAFRet, I have the network types in both computers set as PRIVATE and both have the same workgroup name. How do I get them to see each others files? Thanks so much.
Zaffer

kanewolf

Titan
Reactions: Zaffer
Solution

Zaffer

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2013
Hi Kanewolf,
Thanks for your help. Yes, I eventually figured out that my two computers were indeed connected through the ATT cable modem. Got the rest figured out too -- where the Network and Sharing Center is, how to setup Advanced Sharing Settings and then how to right click on a folder and set up Give Access To. It was quite a journey.
Zaffer

TRENDING THREADS