Hardware problems

darksidedragon

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
Hi guys,

My computer was working fine last night; put it into hibernate as per usual. However, when I went to switch it back on half an hour later, nothing! No POST beep and no display on the screen. The main issue for me is that this EXACT same thing occurred a few months ago. After messing around, I got it working again by buying a new graphics card and resetting the CMOS. Considering I now have a new graphics card, I suspect this is not the issue. I've tried resetting the CMOS again, but to no avail. Unfortunately, I don't have another rig I can test parts out on (my housemates both use laptops). Any ideas what the problem could be? I plan to try unplugging hard drives and taking out RAM tonight to see if that makes any difference. My main suspicion is that the motherboard has developed a fault.

dougie_boy

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
i would unplug everything non essential and test from there.

1st just mb, cpu and ram. if you get a beep start adding things. also clear the CMOS by removing the batt and unplugging for a min or too just to be sure. you dont want to leave any stone unturned.

darksidedragon

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
Yup, removed the battery last night to give that a try. Briefly had a play around last night and tried booting without the graphics card plugged in. Got a number of beeps when I did that, but can't imagine the graphics card is dead considering it's brand new (unless there's a grounding issue with the backplate or something).

Forgot to mention that with everything plugged in, the system spins up all fans and HDDs fire up, just no POST.

dougie_boy

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
its okay.

some motherboards come with bois recovery programs in the event of the bios becoming corrupt. check the manufacturers website to see if the option is available to you.

what the full spec?

System specs?

The following is pasted from my "standard reply" for troubleshooting a new build.

Pull everything except the CPU and HSF. Boot. You should hear a series of long single beeps indicating memory problems. Silence here indicates, in probable order, a bad PSU, motherboard, or CPU - or a bad installation where something is shorting and shutting down the PSU.

If you get the long beeps, add a stick of RAM. Boot. The beep pattern should change to one long and two or three short beeps. Silence indicates that the RAM is shorting out the PSU. Long single beeps indicates that the BIOS does not recognize the presence of the RAM.

If you get the one long and two or three short beeps, test the rest of the RAM. If good, install the video card and any needed power cables and plug in the monitor. If the video card is good, the system should successfully POST (one short beep, usually) and you will see the boot screen and messages.

Note - an inadequate PSU will cause a failure here or any step later.
Note - you do not need drives or a keyboard to get this far.

If you successfully POST, start plugging in the rest of the components, one at a time.

darksidedragon

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
Thanks for the replies guys, I'll try and test some of it tonight. System spec:

Intel Q6600 w/ Noctua NH-U12F
Gigabyte 965P-DS3
ATI 4870 1GB w/ Thermalright HR-03
NZXT HUSH Case
2x1GB Corsair XMS DDR2-667MHz CAS4 RAM
1000W Corsair HX PSU
Samsung DVD-RAM
Sony Floppy
Samsung 20" SM206BW Monitor
Razer Lachesis mouse
Enermax Aurora Keyboard
250GB Seagate 7200.10 SATA HDD (System)
200GB Maxtor DM10 SATA HDD
300GB MaxLine III IDE HDD
300GB Maxtor DM9 SATA HDD
160GB Freecom USB2.0 HDD

darksidedragon

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
Hey guys,

Got my PC working again. Thanks for the diagnostics step. Still not too happy; seems the graphics card was somehow getting shorted by the front audio cable???
I played around with some of the cables running near the graphics card and managed to get POST when I pulled the front audio cable away from the graphics card cooler. Quiet odd, as I wouldn't imagine it would do anything...

darksidedragon

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
Hmm, I was right not to be happy! Literally ten minutes after my last post, I shut down my computer and couldn't get it to POST again. I tried removing the graphics card and booting, which gave me the long beep and 2/3 short beeps expected. I actually have two PCIe graphics cards which I tried and got the following results:

1. Nvidia 8800GTX: successfully POSTs, but no output on monitor. Also, there's a high pitch whine from the motherboard speaker when I power down.

2. ATI 4870 1GB: no POST at all. I wouldn't expect it to be faulty, as it's only about a month old. However, I don't know anyone that can test my card for me.

Just a question, how do you know you are gettig a successful POST if there is no output to the monitor?
Do you get the 1 short beep, but simply nothing on screen?
Also, have read other places that people say their 8800GTX makes "whining" sound sometimes at shutdown.
Are you sure the sound is coming from the speaker, and not something else, like the GPU, or even a motherboard capacitor?

darksidedragon

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
Yes, I was getting the normal POST beep but without any output on the monitor. Not sure on where the sound is coming from, just assumed that it would be from the speaker. I'm hoping to test both graphics cards on another motherboard, but having trouble finding a friend with a new enough computer!