[SOLVED] Hardware RAID-0 recovery

Oct 1, 2021
I'm in desperate need for help. My computer started only booting into the bios. My OS was set up on a RAID-0 array with 2 x Samsung 850 Pros (M.2 SSDs). Its a hardware raid created in the bios of a MSI Z170A XPower Gaming Titanium Motherboard. I haven't saved any changes in the bios when I was trying to diagnose the problem. The first thing I did was check that my backup HDD was OK. It turns out that the reader head failed and the data couldn't be recovered by a data recovery company (they said there were too many scratches on the platter). Since the backup failed, I was hoping there might be a couple of things that I could try to recover the data from the RAID array itself. Essentially, its now the only place with a couple years worth of work, and if I can't recover from the RAID, I would loose literally thousands of hours of work and it could seriously jeopardize my career as data and code will be lost.

Details that might help troubleshoot. The bios seems to recognize both drives, but not the previously build RAID-0 array. When I booted up, the bios was set up with the hardware array toggle unchecked (i.e. M.2 genie). I didn't want to do anything because I didn't want to mess anything up. How should I proceed to have the best chance of recovering the RAID and getting my data back?

Thank you in advance for any help!

Solution
This is specifically what a known good backup routine is for.

RAID 0 should never ever be run without good backups.

The 'benefit' of a RAID 0 + SSD is minimal at best.

Lastly, RAID 0 was never really meant for the OS drive.

Possibly this:
http://www.freeraidrecovery.com/?s=rd

Good luck. Hope there was no critical data in there.
http://www.freeraidrecovery.com/library/raid0-recovery.aspx

There is some software to recover from RAID 0 failures. Do note you are not guaranteed to get everything back. In industry we do not run RAID 0 as the chances of failure and data loss is to high. You are better off running RAID 1 or RAID 10 (if you have 4 drives). However, with SSD there is little reason to run a RAID unless you are having the drives in a SAN.