_Jappu

Reputable
Aug 4, 2017
Hey y'all, I'm looking for hardware recommendations for my crummy old pre-built PC my parents bought me 4-5 years ago.

Currently, I provided a few upgrades on this rig, a new PSU (An Inplay 500w PSU, was said to be 80+ Bronze-rated and only decided to buy this because I couldn't afford a Corsair PSU) and my cousin's GTX 680 2GB. A relative who's also a huge PC nerd recommended me to go for the i3 10100F processor and HS410M motherboard alongside with Ramsta 8GB RAM for a budget all-around System (Because I also play games from time to time), although I'm worried about the upgradability of my System by the future.
I managed to cram this down to just $120, but I wanted to lessen it so I can make space for a new SSD and HDD.

I live in the Philippines and we're also experiencing low hardware stocks with AMD Products with added bonus of slight price inflation, but Intel products are on the lower end of the Budget scale now.

Any recommendations are accepted, I just need a stable PC for the time being.

Solution
Buying a off brand 500w psu may have been a mistake.
Bronze rating says nothing about the quality of the unit and the ability to deliver advertised power.
Off brands lie or are misleading.
Worse, they do not have protective circuitry to prevent damage to ther parts if they should fail under load.
I would return it if I could.
GTX680 would like a 550w psu:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

I3-10100 or i3-10100F is an excellent option for a budget processor.
Here is a gaming review:
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i3-10100/15.html

See if you can't buy a 2 x 8gb ddr4 2666 speed ram kit in the first place.
Bronze rating says nothing about the quality of the unit and the ability to deliver advertised power.
Worse, they do not have protective circuitry to prevent damage to ther parts if they should fail under load.

Here is a gaming review:

Reactions: Dj0gany
Solution

_Jappu

Reputable
Aug 4, 2017
What is the exact pc you have now?
What games do you play and at what resolution?
Is gaming the most demnding task you are doing on your pc?

My current PC Specs are:
AMD A6 6400K APU
EVGA GTX 680 2GB
Kingston 4GB RAM (1666mhz)
Gigabyte GA-F2A68HM-S1 (Literally the worst thing I have)

I don't play that much games considering that the games I used to play struggles to run on my PC now, I used to play CS:GO, Overwatch and TF2.

And no, gaming isn't the most demanding task I do on my PC, I usually do small-time video editing and Graphics Design as well.

My current PC Specs are:
AMD A6 6400K APU
EVGA GTX 680 2GB
Kingston 4GB RAM (1666mhz)
Gigabyte GA-F2A68HM-S1 (Literally the worst thing I have)

I don't play that much games considering that the games I used to play struggles to run on my PC now, I used to play CS:GO, Overwatch and TF2.

And no, gaming isn't the most demanding task I do on my PC, I usually do small-time video editing and Graphics Design as well.
A really old platform.
I suggest upgrading to something new.
I agree with @geofelt , a i3 10100/f would make sense,but it cant be done under 200$.
10100F is around 100$,a h410 which is the bare minimum for it is 70$,2x8gb ddr4 will also set you back around 70-80$.
So you would need 250$ atleast.
That is,if you are shoping new parts ofcourse.

Reactions: Why_Me

_Jappu

Reputable
Aug 4, 2017
A really old platform.
I suggest upgrading to something new.
I agree with @geofelt , a i3 10100/f would make sense,but it cant be done under 200$.
10100F is around 100$,a h410 which is the bare minimum for it is 70$,2x8gb ddr4 will also set you back around 70-80$.
So you would need 250$ atleast.
That is,if you are shoping new parts ofcourse.
Do you vouch for bundles? I usually try to look for bundles for the CPU and Motherboard, usually I find them in $165 including shipping costs. Just now I found on one our local Online Shopping Site (Lazada, we don't use Amazon here due to shipping rates and inconsistencies in just buying one item).
If I were to purchase that, I'd have $40 left in the budget but I'm unsure what RAM Brand I should buy from, a friend of mine on Discord suggested to just get Corsair Vengeance LPXs considering they're cheaper, but they still tank my budget pretty high. If I can add a bit more to the budget I'm pretty sure I can purchase new Storage Devices, but I have no clue which one's I should get, I always set my eyes on Kingston's SSDs and WD's HDDs.

_Jappu

Reputable
Aug 4, 2017

Here is a gaming review:

Yeah, I see your point there. I tried to purchase a 500w PSU right away that was under my ~$40 budget, although I'll replace it with a better one in the future since my parents keep doubting over me spending that much just for a PSU. I've also had to hook a molex-to-6pin connector on this PC as well to make my GTX 680 running, I know it's pretty much a no-no but I can't really return the PSU now due to it being in my possession for a month after delivery, return policies.

Thank you for giving me a good heads-up on the i3 10100F, I'll probably get one if there aren't any other options.

Do you vouch for bundles? I usually try to look for bundles for the CPU and Motherboard, usually I find them in $165 including shipping costs. Just now I found on one our local Online Shopping Site (Lazada, we don't use Amazon here due to shipping rates and inconsistencies in just buying one item).
If I were to purchase that, I'd have $40 left in the budget but I'm unsure what RAM Brand I should buy from, a friend of mine on Discord suggested to just get Corsair Vengeance LPXs considering they're cheaper, but they still tank my budget pretty high. If I can add a bit more to the budget I'm pretty sure I can purchase new Storage Devices, but I have no clue which one's I should get, I always set my eyes on Kingston's SSDs and WD's HDDs.
Kingston ssds (i assume you were looking at A400) are pretty low quality ssd's.
Paying 40$ for a 860 evo 250gb will make a difference in performance between the two.
Bundles are a pretty good option,what i3 10100/f bundles can you get in your country.