hardware renderer

scotoma

Distinguished
May 26, 2002

Hi all
I have just clean installed XP home and previously had XP Pro installed. Now
I have found when I try to play SimCity 4 I get corrupt graphics as soon as
the game launches. The game seems to install with the hardware renderer
option by default and previously worked with no problems. But, it might have
installed with the software renderer option before the clean install and I
was none the wiser. lol.
I'm using a not so great nVidia Geforce FX 5200 128MB card tried with the
supplied drivers, MS update drivers then the latest from nVidia. Old drivers
were uninstalled before updating.
When the game is launched with the software renderer enabled there is no
graphics corruption but doesn't seem to look as good as before the clean
install. It looks more square. The OS graphics are ok.
I can post .gif's of the screen corruption if that is any help.

Right, does the above card have a hardware renderer?Could it be a IRQ
conflict? Is it a corrupt DirectX install or is the card knackered?

Scotoma

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 15:24:14 GMT As another one bit the dust "Scotoma"
<me@play.co.uk> wrote :

>Hi all
>I have just clean installed XP home and previously had XP Pro installed. Now
>I have found when I try to play SimCity 4 I get corrupt graphics as soon as
>the game launches. The game seems to install with the hardware renderer
>option by default and previously worked with no problems. But, it might have
>installed with the software renderer option before the clean install and I
>was none the wiser. lol.
>I'm using a not so great nVidia Geforce FX 5200 128MB card tried with the
>supplied drivers, MS update drivers then the latest from nVidia. Old drivers
>were uninstalled before updating.
>When the game is launched with the software renderer enabled there is no
>graphics corruption but doesn't seem to look as good as before the clean
>install. It looks more square. The OS graphics are ok.
>I can post .gif's of the screen corruption if that is any help.
>
>Right, does the above card have a hardware renderer?Could it be a IRQ
>conflict? Is it a corrupt DirectX install or is the card knackered?
>
>Scotoma

It's update/re-install directX as a 1st stop.

--
Free Windows/PC help,
remove obvious to reply