Question hardware reserved is high memory

aa1991aa

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2015
Hello , my sister's laptop (Dell xps 15 9550) stopped turning on , I opened it , cleaned inside and laptop started working however I noticed as soon as I start using apps , computers gets super slow ! so after some research I found out when I go to task manager , the hardware reserved is almost 15gb out of 16gb . I tried to edit the registry and everything I could with no luck . then I opened the laptop and noticed when I take off one of the two RAMs the problem fixes . I tried every single RAM individually and also every dimm slot individually . Everything works fine individually and system reserve goes back to normal but when I put both of the RAMs in thats when the problem starts . Any idea on how to fix it would be appreciated :)

Hello , my sister's laptop (Dell xps 15 9550) stopped turning on , I opened it , cleaned inside and laptop started working however I noticed as soon as I start using apps , computers gets super slow ! so after some research I found out when I go to task manager , the hardware reserved is almost 15gb out of 16gb . I tried to edit the registry and everything I could with no luck . then I opened the laptop and noticed when I take off one of the two RAMs the problem fixes . I tried every single RAM individually and also every dimm slot individually . Everything works fine individually and system reserve goes back to normal but when I put both of the RAMs in thats when the problem starts . Any idea on how to fix it would be appreciated :)
Check in the BIOS to see if you can adjust the system reserved RAM. Usually the system reserved is for the iGPU.

aa1991aa

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2015
That is likely caused by your choice of memory. Unfortunately, If you can't post the memory part number and/or link to it, then no one will know what you have.
Thanks for reply . RAMs are both the same . Haven't changed anything eversince I bought the laptop . Plus it was working fine before , the problem suddenly started

aa1991aa

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2015
There might be a way to change the system reserved RAM amount inside the BIOS. Usually it will be in the area where you would find setting for the iGPU.
I just entered bios but for some reason the bios doesn't have much options to change. Most of the options are basic tasks. There's nothing to change about RAM or igpu !