Hardware Reserved Memory is 13GB out of 16GB

Triv_

Commendable
Jul 19, 2016
Hello, I am having issues with my RAM not being used to it's full potential. I recently built this PC and have installed 2x DDR4 8GB RAM into it and the motherboard is a DDR4 board and supports this type of RAM. I am running Windows 10, and I have tried the 'msconfig' boot options multiple times and I still get the same issue. The only amount of RAM that is 'usable' is 2.1GB out of 16GB. Anyone know what is causing this issue?

Solution
You will have to buy a copy of windows 10 for the PC, using a preinstalled hdd copy won't work as it was set up o match whatever computer it was installed on - it is unlikely to activate on your PC. The free upgrade only applies to computers that had windows 7 or 8 on them before, a new PC needs a new licence.

Yes, reinstall win 10 64bit to use all your ram.

Triv_

Commendable
Jul 19, 2016
The OS is probably it.. My friend gave me a 500GB with Win10 pre-installed and never told me it was 32 bit until I booted it up and seen it myself. I don't have a GPU, because it hasn't been shipped yet from Newegg.. Best bet is to wipe the HDD and get Win10 64bit installed on it?

Colif

Win 11 Master
You will have to buy a copy of windows 10 for the PC, using a preinstalled hdd copy won't work as it was set up o match whatever computer it was installed on - it is unlikely to activate on your PC. The free upgrade only applies to computers that had windows 7 or 8 on them before, a new PC needs a new licence.

Yes, reinstall win 10 64bit to use all your ram.

Solution