Question Hardware reserved memory

Blingbo

Distinguished
May 21, 2015
Since I got 8gb extra ram last year, windows says I got only 12 of 16gb usable ram. I forgot about that until now when i need that much ram. Ive tried - bios update, bios default settings, regedit, boot memory trick, basically most of the easy fixes. So the trick here is that the bios recognizes all 16gb,windows too, but only gives me 12. I had 8 total in the past and it was fine to my memory. I've checked compatability for the sticks and the original pair is actually not supported, but worked fine (new ones are fine). I also remeber letting some therm paste drop on one slot, but it wouldnt know i had 16 if the slot was bad, right? I haven't actually tried reslotting the sticks, but I can't swap slots because of clearance with the cpu cooler since one pair is bigger and can't go under it. If you guys got solutions on this, i know I've given you the bare details, but its late and i wanted to get this posted. I got 2 pairs of 2x4GB DDR3 Kingston hyperx and corsair vengeance on a gigabyte 970a-ds3 rev 3 with an AMD FX-8350 and a msi gtx 970. All stock clocks, if needed I'll give you more info tomorrow. Worst case scenario, I'll buy new sticks, right?

Update: After reslotting the sticks, the "reserved" portion came down to just 1GB! I still don't know how or why this is happening, any info would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Memory is guaranteed in the form sold. Other combinations you decide to make have no guarantee to be compatible together. Your results for mixing multiple kits of memory are typical.

Workarounds to get extra memory working together include:
Lower memory clock speed
Relax DRAM timings
Raise DRAM voltage

Blingbo

Distinguished
May 21, 2015
Memory is guaranteed in the form sold. Other combinations you decide to make have no guarantee to be compatible together. Your results for mixing multiple kits of memory are typical.

Workarounds to get extra memory working together include:
Lower memory clock speed
Relax DRAM timings
Raise DRAM voltage
So basically i must get a 16gb kit? I want to make sure its not some windows bug or other software related issue, before jumping in my wallet. If buying ram is the case, can you help out with the choice I have? All of these are 2x8GB DDR3 - 1600MHz, Corsair Vengeance™, CMZ32GX3M4X1600C102PO, 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance™ CMZ16GX3M2A1600C9, 1333MHz Corsair CMV16GX3M2A1600C11, 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance™ CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10 .

Blingbo

Distinguished
May 21, 2015