hardware to rune virtual servers

anm767

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
Good day,

I am thinking of moving my current old servers into one machine with enough power to run it virtually.

There is IP Phone system, some light web services, Terminal Server, SQL Server, Sharepoint, AD DC for about 100 users, Exchange Server.

Might run SQL on its own machine because some web and local apps require a bit of data manipulation., but the rest can go on one machine in virtual environment.

CPU:
When I saw FX-8350 CPU in store it looked nice and price is good, but after some reading on this forum I started thinking about Xeon line of products. Find it hard to decide what is better without paying a few thousands for a processor.

Case:
I like Cooler Master HAF series cases with 200mm fans.

Other hardware is more or less straight forward, HDD with enough storage and speed, enough RAM (32Gb), motherboard to support that, PSU to power that up. I think that Corsair line of products in RAM andd PSU is reasonably reliable. WD HDDs are easy to find.

But that CPU choice drives me nuts. You can check out what kind of products we have in this town:
http://www.dragonpc.co.nz/c.aspx?r=1e&c=Hardware&s=CPU

Can you give suggestions on CPU choice to run Virtual Servers? Maybe not exactly from that website, might ship one in, but which one.

Thank you guys.