[SOLVED] Hardware using 1W over rating

Anston06

Reputable
Apr 21, 2020
I have a 450 w PSU and hen I put my hardware into Newegg wattage calculator it said 452w. I have been running like this for a while and just now realized it. It is sort of an old PSU. Is this dangerous? Could my components be/get damaged?

Specs
-Ryzen 5 3600
-Aorus X570 Elite w/ out Wifi
-RX 580 GPU
-16gb GSkill RAM
-1TB NVME M.2 SSD
-Corsair PSU Model like 5-6 years old

Solution
I have a 450 w PSU and hen I put my hardware into Newegg wattage calculator it said 452w. I have been running like this for a while and just now realized it. It is sort of an old PSU. Is this dangerous? Could my components be/get damaged?

Specs
-Ryzen 5 3600
-RX 580 GPU
-16gb GSkill RAM
-1TB NVME M.2 SSD
I think you are running closer than I'd like to be....but I wouldn't be super concerned about it ruining things (although that can always happen even with the best PSUs). I'd feel more comfortable with 650 watts....and a newer...better PSU though. I think it's a good investment....and will reduce the risk over what you have now.

Lutfij

Titan
First off, using a 5-6 year old PSU only adds to the grey hair on your/our heads, since the PSU will loose it's ability to effectively cleanup and deliver necessary power to all your components. You've mentioned Corsair and it's age but you've forgotten to mention the model of the unit and it's wattage. Depending on the model, you should be in need of a replacement in a few weeks time or NOW. Also you should be on a PSU with at least 650W of power for the entire system, unless you want to damage all the innards(and want a new system).

well lets say u have corsair VS450
theres like several versions of them with some rated for only 360watt on 12 rail(s)

vs450.png

Label.jpg

Specs
-Ryzen 5 3600
-RX 580 GPU
-16gb GSkill RAM
-1TB NVME M.2 SSD
I think you are running closer than I'd like to be....but I wouldn't be super concerned about it ruining things (although that can always happen even with the best PSUs). I'd feel more comfortable with 650 watts....and a newer...better PSU though. I think it's a good investment....and will reduce the risk over what you have now.

Solution

mikewinddale

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2016
If it's running fine, then it's running fine. Over-draw will either damage the PSU (because it will try to provide more power than it can handle), or else cause the system to shutdown (from lack of power).

But your components won't be damaged from lack of sufficient power. It's too much power that is damaging. Insufficient power leads to shutdowns and restarts, but not permanent damage.

Still, I'd upgrade the PSU anyway. One thing to keep in mind that is that components sometimes draw high amounts of power in short, temporary spikes. So even if your components supposedly draw 450W, they might occasionally draw more than that in short, brief spikes.