[SOLVED] hardwire problems???

PAPPADOC

Reputable
Sep 27, 2016
when my pc is hardwired to my modem, some websites work and some don't. my game launchers cannot connect to the internet as well. when i started working from home, my coworker from I.T. went into msdos and tried to ping google and said the server was not pinging back. are these 2 things related to each other? connection with wifi is perfect. can anyone help or point me to the right direction please.

Ralston18

Titan

Ralston18

Titan
Make and model modem?

Normal/Usual PC to internet connectivity (line diagram):

ISP --Coax or DSL cable ---> Modem -- ethernet cable -->[WAN port] Router [LAN ports]---ethernet cable ---> PC (and other wired devices).

And also from router (if wireless capable) ~~~~ Wireless ~~~> Wireless devices

So you should have two devices: a modem and a router. However, some people have a combined device; aka modem/router.

If some websites work and others do not then it is likely that your router (or modem router) is blocking the websites that do not work. Or a firewall perhaps.

Edit/correct my line diagram and include your devices (make and models).

If you discover that you have a router or combined modem/router then someone should have admin rights to that device. You will need to work with that person as well.

PAPPADOC

Reputable
Sep 27, 2016
Make and model modem?

Normal/Usual PC to internet connectivity (line diagram):

ISP --Coax or DSL cable ---> Modem -- ethernet cable -->[WAN port] Router [LAN ports]---ethernet cable ---> PC (and other wired devices).

And also from router (if wireless capable) ~~~~ Wireless ~~~> Wireless devices

So you should have two devices: a modem and a router. However, some people have a combined device; aka modem/router.

If some websites work and others do not then it is likely that your router (or modem router) is blocking the websites that do not work. Or a firewall perhaps.

Edit/correct my line diagram and include your devices (make and models).

If you discover that you have a router or combined modem/router then someone should have admin rights to that device. You will need to work with that person as well.

xfinity model is TG1682g, it's a router and modem combined. after work i'll try to connect again and mess with the firewall. hopefully that is the problem

Ralston18

Titan

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS