Hardwired computer disconnecting from internet, but not router.

maxss81

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2011
Hello everyone,

I have several computers on my network, and there seems to be only 1 that has an issue staying on the internet. I have already run several virus scans, malware checks, and driver and windows updates to see if there is any conflicts or other issues there.

The general problem is this. This computer is hardwired via Ethernet cable to a TPLINK Archer C7 Router. Randomly this system will drop from being able to access the internet, but all internal connections (wireless printers , networked hard drive, and shared folders on other computers that have the internet) work just fine still. I can ping the router and even access the router configuration page from the computer when it goes down, but I cannot ping/tracert the modem after this point. This is the only computer that has this issue and it doesn't matter what port on the router it is on. This computer has 2 Ethernet cards in it (came that way, One is a MB on-board and the other is a PCI-X Add-on, both Intel boards) and this issue happens on both.

I have tested several aspects of this computer and still cannot find any cause for the router to block modem access to only one computer.

Thanks for any input.

maxss81

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2011

Only one Ethernet cable is being used on this system, for Diagnostics - One NIC is being used at a time, and the other is disabled. I thought this was wierd as well, but I didn't design the system, and at least its handy for diagnostics for situations like this.

-----

As for the system restore - already tried that as well, and still happened.

-----

maxss81

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2011
So its been a while since this happened again, as I reinstalled the drivers on the system in question. However, the issue itself has come back on a different system on the network. Its also happening Wired or Wireless.

One thing I have found out, The computers can always access the router, but they cannot route to the modem. If I reboot the router, the connection is fine again, but the issue seems to come back after a day or 2 of light usage.

In all the years I've worked with wireless routers and cable modems, I've never seen anything like this.

Is this just a software/hardware defect in the router or is the modem having a part of this?