[SOLVED] Has AMD fixed their driver issues with the 5700xt?

Dec 31, 2019
I been wanting to get a 5700 XT but i keep hearing of people having driver issues, black screens, crashes, etc. i really want the card but that problem is steering me towards a RTX 2070 super

Solution
I been wanting to get a 5700 XT but i keep hearing of people having driver issues, black screens, crashes, etc. i really want the card but that problem is steering me towards a RTX 2070 super

Hi @jules41

For Christmas this year, my brother-in-law got me an XFX 5700 XT RAW II. This was a direct upgrade from a venerable EVGA 1060 SC 6GB. I have the newest drivers installed for it as of 2 weeks ago (don't know the driver ver. at this time.) The point being, is that the card is absolutely fantastic. Runs cool and blazes through every game I've thrown at it, though granted it's only been POE, BF1 & RDR2 so far. It runs RDR2 smooth as silk on Ultra @ 1440p @ 144hz. BF1, while not the most demanding of games I'll admit, still...

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED

Hi @jules41

For Christmas this year, my brother-in-law got me an XFX 5700 XT RAW II. This was a direct upgrade from a venerable EVGA 1060 SC 6GB. I have the newest drivers installed for it as of 2 weeks ago (don't know the driver ver. at this time.) The point being, is that the card is absolutely fantastic. Runs cool and blazes through every game I've thrown at it, though granted it's only been POE, BF1 & RDR2 so far. It runs RDR2 smooth as silk on Ultra @ 1440p @ 144hz. BF1, while not the most demanding of games I'll admit, still runs like a (cool) bat outta hell with everything cranked to the max.

For regular non-gaming use, the card has not given me any issues what so ever.

While true, everyone will have their own experiences. Another member here may have the same exact card as I and have nothing but trouble, but I will gladly sing the praises for the 5700 to any and all that will listen. :) I do have the fans running at all times at various RPM's set to kick in at lower temps to try and keep the temps as low as possible and I do have good air flow in my case, but I"m impressed at the beefy cooling the RAW II has, or at least it looks beefy, but regardless, my card runs a lot cooler than I expected.

It's not as powerful as the 2070 Super which is I believe about 12% faster overall across the board but depending on the model, the 5700 XT is almost $150 cheaper. I've even seen it closer to $200 cheaper during a few sales but on average it's 20% cheaper.

That being said, I have been hearing about driver issues and black screens and the like but have not personally experienced any myself. The card is only 5 months old though, so the bugs will be worked out, which AMD, is..ah.. kinda known for lol..

I am curious though if there is any connection to those users with cards that are OC'd over stock ref. having a higher degree of black screens and the like vs other 3rd party vendors that may have their cards clocked lower. I'm not talking about user OC's but rather factory OC's

Last edited:
Solution
Jan 13, 2020
Get the 2070 if you want good drivers. My 5700XT has been giving me nightmares. I have installed old drivers, new drivers, the "most stable" drivers and none of them have worked. I just keep getting a black screen when gaming and, my pc shuts off. If you realize it's gonna take time for AMD to get good drivers then it's a good buy. In short, it's a better card when it works.