[SOLVED] Has anyone come across a sound like this

Apr 6, 2021
My PC has started making a deep long beep sound when running MSFS2020 it happens randomly. I have all monitoring running and there is absolutely no correlation between the sound and any variance in the heat or voltage of components. The only variance that 'sometimes' occurs is that the CPU & GPU can show 100% use, but not every time. It is not the small internal PC speaker used by the system for BIOS beeps. Nor is it the external speakers (they are off). My only suspects are something to do with the USB, could it be my Alpha Flight Control? Note that although this example is a 3x beep, most of the time it is only 1 long beep.

I have put the sound on this youtube page:

Solution
I have finally tracked down the problem. You will think I am stupid to not realise it before. I have an iPad on top of my Alpha Flight Control. I use it with a G1000 bridge to display flight control graphics. I just hadn't realised it could also play warning sounds. I have now muted the iPad.

Colif

Win 11 Master
how do you sound if speakers are off? Headphones?

Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

Apr 6, 2021
how do you sound if speakers are off?
Headphones? I am really, really puzzled by that. I can find nothing that could act as a speaker. Unless the PC speakers could operate when powered off? They are still plugged into the sound output. But, no other sound goes through them and they are turned right down. I wondered if there could be embedded speakers in a USB device, or something could act as a speaker. My other thought is the HDMI TV's have sound possibilities, even though not activated. I have used them via PC in the past. Could they become active without me setting them?
Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows
if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

I will try this. Although, 1st I will try a re-install on MSFS2020 as that's the only program it does it on.

Last edited by a moderator:

Colif

Win 11 Master
So are you using headphones?
if not, microphones can act as speakers as well.

Morse code? maybe a radio in game?
maybe the beeping sounds are an alarm in a cockpit of the plane in the game?
link

Apr 6, 2021
I have no mic or headphones plugged in. I agree it could be an in game sound, but where is it playing through? Can the sound go through the HDMI to one of my TV's even though they are not setup for sound at present? I have used one of them for sound in the past.

Apr 6, 2021
I have finally tracked down the problem. You will think I am stupid to not realise it before. I have an iPad on top of my Alpha Flight Control. I use it with a G1000 bridge to display flight control graphics. I just hadn't realised it could also play warning sounds. I have now muted the iPad.

Solution